Spokes loose and wheel buckled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nozzer

I seem to be having real problems with my rear wheel at the moment. The spokes get loose all the time and wheel out of true. It has been serviced once for the 6 week check up but the spokes are loose again. Ive looked on you tube and re aligned the wheel a few times but still the trouble.The bike is a specialized secteur elite and wheels cx22. Im 15 half stone, is it that im a fat knacker?

RedBike

No, it's more likely because your wheel was badly built in the first place (or that you keep crashing through pot-holes?)

If its a bad build what ideally needs to happen is all the old spokes need to be removed, the rim needs to be checked to see if it buckled, then the wheel needs to be rebuilt using NEW spokes.
Most shops wont do this. They'll just tweak a few spokes to re-true the wheel again then hand it back.

However, if you build a wheel up with loose or un-evenly tensioned spokes then the spokes will continually break or come undone. (The spoke tension on either side should be different). Just tweaking a few spokes might not solve your problem.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Take the wheel back, explain the problem and get them to either replace it (preferable) or pop some threadlock on the thread/nipples of each spoke.

15st shouldn't really pose a problem to 32spoke rims unless you ride up curbs etc.

kewb

is the problem really the wheel ?

i was nearly driven round the bend by a vuelta wheel on an mtb that despite  tweaks never came true (always a slight wobble )

wasnt till i changed tyres that the "buckle " vannished ?????  it was uneven tread i noticed not a buckle at all  :blush:

jimboalee

What I don't want to hear is you sprayed the rims with WD40.

The only way to cure this for good is strip the wheel completely, de-grease the lot and reassemble using 20/50 oil on the spoke threads, NOT WD40.

OP
OP
Nozzer

Nozzer

Thanks for the replys, i got the bike in may and was nearly 17 stone so lost stone and a half since then. I never ride up kerbs but have hit the occasional pot hole:sad:
I have 100k ride sunday at the shakespeare so will get the wheel striped and re done next week. Guess ill try to straighten as best i can for sunday. First 100K:hello: !!

vorsprung

Veteran
The FAQ on the Specialized web site says repeatedly there is no weight limit for the bikes

So at just over 15 stone you should be ok

It is not normal for wheels to repeatedly fail in the manner you have described

The shop or Specialized need to sort out a warrantee replacement for you

bad boy

Über Member
Hiya

I have the same bike and have to say the cxp22's are fine for me I would definitely say take the wheel back and stipulate you want it all re-tensioned or re-built. This rims are obviously not hand built but in saying that Ive not heard anything like this about the cxps 22's that come with the elite just a few people having issues with visible seams on the rims braking surface. It was a consideration for me in buying the bike as I use it for commuting as well so wanted some strong 32 hole rims and these have certainly held up well so far to the horrendous roads in east London.

Ive done 600 miles on mine now with no real problems.

I know this might not help you but I'm sure you have just been unlucky, I would take a slightly firmer line with the shop as what you mentioned is not acceptable.

good luck

OP
OP
Nozzer

Nozzer

Thanks for replys, took the wheel back to lbs Saturday, they straightened and re tensioned wheel in time for the 100k on Sunday, all ok at the moment

Top Bottom