Spokes.... Which...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
My everyday bike needs a new rear wheel.

Or rather a new rear hub, the shimano FH475 freehub is getting tired, the bearings have been replaced several times and the seats are worn and corroded.
Given that its an every day bike and sees, rain, snow, ice, salt, mank and doesnt get as much maintenance as i would like and always need maintenance at times i struggle to give it, im considering getting a Superstar/Hope Freehub mainly for the sealed bearings that have given me so much less grief on the front.

Anyway I digress;

The wheel will be rebuilt, I've previously always used elcheapo no brand spokes from the local wholesalor for about 10p each. They've never given any bother. But my front wheel was rebuild during the ronacrises and they couldnt get the size needed. The guy who built the wheel used Sapim standard unpectacular spokes. The build has been fine the spokes have been fine, except i have noticed loads of rust where they cross (black spokes) more than i have seen on other spokes over the years. Its probably just surface rust, but still and with the price of them vs the no brands i was expecting less not more.

What is the current thinking on spokes? Any brands better than others? Should i be concerned about the corrosion?

The wheel is a 32h wheel (currently 31spoke), the bikes isnt anything special, i'm 10stone, but do carry a child seat /tagalong / trailer and the bike does see some roughish stuff from time to time. i have had broken spokes, but its rare.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
DT or Sapim. I never use anything else. Always bright stainless.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Stainless spokes are the answer, I wouldn't fit anything else personally.

Stainless are available in plain silver or black from most suppliers. I have always gone for DT double butted as a matter of course, only deviating from this choice in specific circumstances.

presta

Guru
I'm surprised non-stainless spokes are still available, I thought they went out with the Ark. Mine are all DT Competition.

Top Bottom