Spooky houses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Driving past Normansfield hospital the other day I noticed they have finally got people moved in there after redevelopment .
Opened in the late 1800's as a hospital for the mentally ill , I'm not sure that's a place I would ever want to live :eek:

sittingbull

Veteran
I regularly cycle past Battlecrease House, twice earlier this evening in fact.

It draws in coach loads of visitors as the site where Florence Maybrick poisoned her husband after soaking fly papers to obtain arsenic.

Her husband was James Maybrick who is considered a candidate for Jack the Ripper in the original Whitechapel murders. The Ripper diary was supposed to have been discovered in the mansion.

Twinks

Über Member
Not anywhere famous but there's a house in Highgate Lane Hayfield that has lain empty for years. Of course there are the usual local ghost stories about it but I never really noticed it much. Until I was riding my Connemara pony down there a few years ago and she suddenly stopped rooted to the ground as we approached it. If I pushed her on she reared and spun. This was the boldest pony I have ever known. I tried every trick in the book, leading her, getting another horse to go first, backing her past, you name it I tried it and in 10 years she never went past it. Even though it was homeward bound and the route around involved another couple of miles. It would make a lovely property with some money spent on it in a lovely location but even if I could afford it I don't think I could settle there after that.

Top Bottom