Sportive medals. What are they?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
I just rode my first Sportive this weekend, an 86km ride, and finished 25th out of about 180.
My finishing time was listed as Silver standard.

What do these "standards" mean? Is it just a virtual pat on the back or do people actually aspire to get a gold?

Confused :scratch:

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Both, but riders will never admit to either!
Me? I tried, failed, so now enjoy the scenery and ruin everyone else's times by chatting too much :smile:

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
OK. I suppose its just something to shoot for. I'm pretty confident I could get a Gold, but perhaps once I've done it a few times I may ease off and just enjoy the ride, as you said 2Pedas. Depends on how you're feeling, there's no pressure to ride really fast is there?

Another quick question, is it considered poor form to ride with head-phones in? When riding alone, I like to listen to music or podcasts. Not knowing what to expect, I didn't take any with me and didn't notice anyone else with them in either.

Broadside

Guru
I like listening to music on solo rides but for a sportive I prefer to chat to other riders as you meet such different people, on my most recent sportive I chatted for 20 miles to a builder and about 15 miles with a helicopter test pilot, it certainly broke the ride up for me.

I don't think it is particularly bad form to have headphones in but people will be less inclined to talk if they think you can't hear them. If you want the music on a sportive then wear them but if you want to chat then don't!

Top Bottom