Sprocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ConnoisseurEquator

ConnoisseurEquator

Raleigh 3-speeds use 1/2 x 1/8 inch chains. You can get half links for these off ebay.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144039238740
It looks different than a Raleigh chain.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
It looks different than a Raleigh chain.

View attachment 602972

View attachment 602971
Yes - It's a half link. You take out two complete links (ie two inners and two outers) and put that in instead. It makes the chain just long enough to put a non-standard size sprocket in.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if the 17 isn't allowing you to get a position in the drop out with a pair longer or shorter links in the chain where it will run tight, then i'd go with a 16 or 18 T sproket or a half link, but I'm suprised you cant find a spot.

are you saying of its sat where the yellow arrow is (with a shortened chain from running it with 21) if you add the pair of links back in can you not take-up the slack? there looks to be more than a links worth of travel up the drop out.

Reactions: C R

Chris S

Legendary Member
if the 17 isn't allowing you to get a position in the drop out with a pair longer or shorter links in the chain where it will run tight, then i'd go with a 16 or 18 T sproket or a half link, but I'm suprised you cant find a spot.
Sturmey Archer hubs use an anti-rotation washer which takes up most of the dropout. On one of my bikes I can only use an 18T or 19T sprocket. If I put another link in I have a choice between 22T or 23T.

It's annoying because the ideal sizes would be 20T or 21T. The smaller sprockets mean I have to push my bike uphill, the larger ones mean that I have to freewheel downhill!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A 17T sprocket will give you ridiculouslyhigh gearing for an old Raleigh 3-speed anyway. only a complete masochist will ride that combination, and you won't want to go near any gradients with it. The standard 18T generally fitted at the factory by Raleigh is even a bit high if anything. 3-speed roadsters really aren't designed for riding fast anyway as the aerodynamics simply aren't favourable. Use a lightweight steel drop bar bike if speed is your aim. You can still run those as 3-speeds if you wish.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Good point, by my calculations a 17T sprocket would give the following gears with a 26 inch wheel:
93.8" top
70.35" middle
52.76" bottom

Top gear could only ever be used going downhill. The OP would effectively have a 2-speed.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My 3-speed Raleigh runs 46T on the front and 19T on the back. It's plenty high geared enough for a bike with an upright riding position, and 3rd isn't really usable unless the terrain is flat and there is zero headwind.

Top Bottom