Squeaky brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Sorry all, appreciate that this is probably a stupid question, but my breaks make a slightly 'squeaky' sound when applying.

Bike is 6 weeks old and admittedly I primarily only used the front brake to slow down/stop, which I've now realised is stupid.

Is this just a bedding-in problem, or have I already damaged my front brakes?

Apologies in advance for silly question.

Cheers

inkd

What brakes are we talking about? disc, or rim?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sorry all, appreciate that this is probably a stupid question, but my breaks make a slightly 'squeaky' sound when applying.

Bike is 6 weeks old and admittedly I primarily only used the front brake to slow down/stop, which I've now realised is stupid.
Not at all;

The rear brake is O.K. for situations where traction is poor, or for when your front tire blows, but for stopping on dry pavement[1], the front brake alone provides the maximum stopping power, both in theory and in practice.
If you take the time to learn to use the front brake correctly, you will be a safer cyclist.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

[1] Pavement being American for tarmac/road.

It's probably because the brake pads are flat against the rim. Loosen the pads and very slightly angle the pad so that the front touches the rim before the rear. The pads usually had a cylindrical washer to make this adjustment. Don't have it angled too much, just a millimetre and this should help. Retighten holding the pad whilst you do to stop it miving

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It's probably because the brake pads are flat against the rim. Loosen the pads and very slightly angle the pad so that the front touches the rim before the rear. The pads usually had a cylindrical washer to make this adjustment. Don't have it angled too much, just a millimetre and this should help. Retighten holding the pad whilst you do to stop it miving

I use a bit of cardboard between pad and rim to do this - get someone to hold the brake lever so the pads are against the rim, or a velcro/buckle strap (I use a velcro strap from an old twofish lockblock).

The op's brakes may not be rim brakes though...

Is this just a bedding-in problem, or have I already damaged my front brakes?

Apologies in advance for silly question.

Cheers

Why do you say that?
When you brake, weight is transferred to the front. The harder you brake, the more weight there is on the front wheel providing more grip. The opposite occurs with the rear wheel. In an emergency stop its possible to lift the rear wheel off the ground, thus making the front brake the only brake thats stopping you.
I find this very effective. Whether its better to keep the rear wheel on the ground by braking less at the front so you can use more rear brake I dont know, but I doubt it.

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Sorry guys and gals, went on holidays and forgot to check this.

Appreciate your help, they're pad breaks so will look at perhaps loosening them.

I note that the squeaking is worse in damp/wet conditions.

Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom