Squeaky Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toasty

Brakes make loud squeak/horn type sound. Has been going on for quite some time.
I figured it was from oil and dirt, so I decided to wipe rotors and pads off with a towel. Did not help. Then I tried completely wiping down the front wheel rotor with isopropyl alcohol and cleaned pads.
First few brakes were squeak less, then they were back to how they were before.

What would be the best way to get the rotors clean, and would the pads need replacing or is there a way to clean them completely?
Thanks!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have had the same problem with badly adjusted brakes. I set the brakes up properly (instructions courtesy of YouTube videos) and the problem went away. The brakes were also far more effective.

The noise did come back every time that I rode in wet conditions though.

Make sure that your brakes are set up properly.

DRM

Guru
I have had the same problem with badly adjusted brakes. I set the brakes up properly (instructions courtesy of YouTube videos) and the problem went away. The brakes were also far more effective.

The noise did come back every time that I rode in wet conditions though.

Make sure that your brakes are set up properly.
This ^^^^ check that the disc rotor isn’t warped, if they’re ok, loosen the calliper bolts so you can move them, apply the brake and nip up the bolts, this means that they’re aligned correctly with the rotor, remove the pads and clean them with your isopropyl alcohol, if they’re mechanical disc brakes set the gaps correctly, Park Tool you tube videos are very good for all things related to bike mechanics

Kajjal

Guru
This normally means the pads are contaminated with oil or similar. Having too much oil on the drivetrain / dirty drive chain spraying oily bits off or just being unlucky when cycling through a spill on the road can cause this. The only solution to be sure is first if needed clean the drive chain and only put on a minimal amount of oil. Next remove wheel and clean rotor with disc brake cleaner and white kitchen roll. Once the kitchen roll stays clean you know it is properly clean. Then remove the existing pads and throughly clean the calliper again with kitchen roll and disc brake cleaner. Then reassemble and put fresh pads in, disc brake pads tend to adsorb oil well so cannot normally be cleaned. Disc brakes are normally low maintenance.

Top Bottom