Squeaky brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

Went out mountain biking this morning, on a muddy track and it was raining buckets.

I have hydraulic brakes, with a discs and pads.

However, today they were very squeaky. Done approximately 500 miles in two years. Do I need new pads!, or is it normal

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's normal in wet muddy conditions. Just need to clean the disc and brake pads. I use the unscented supermarket own-brand baby wipes but you can get proper brake cleaning products.

Disc brake pads last a long time in my experience

Cubist

Still wavin'
Went out mountain biking this morning, on a muddy track and it was raining buckets.

I have hydraulic brakes, with a discs and pads.

However, today they were very squeaky. Done approximately 500 miles in two years. Do I need new pads!, or is it normal
They always squeal in the wet and mud. You need to check your pads. Rule of thumb is they need changing when there's half a millimetre of material left. They are very easy to check. Drop the wheel, turn the bike upside down and shine a torch at the pads.

While they're that way up treat them to a squirt of brake cleaner, and use it to cleanse the rotors.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's normal in wet muddy conditions. Just need to clean the disc and brake pads. I use the unscented supermarket own-brand baby wipes but you can get proper brake cleaning products.

Disc brake pads last a long time in my experience
:eek:
They'll last forever if you use a moisturising cleanser like babywipes, but stopping you when it matters is another thing!

It's normal in wet muddy conditions.

That's a bit like going back to complain about your secondhand car and having the salesman say, "Oh don't worry, they always do that Sir." It is not my experience that disc brakes squeal when wet/muddy. In the car world, if a disc brake squeals then one usually puts a very sticky high-temperature grease (like Coppaslip) between the back of the pad and the piston. It alters the natural resonating frequency of the brake pad and hey presto the squeal disappears.

peelywally

meths is a great disc cleaner
Sqeaky brakes in wet is normal
In dry need a checking over ,
Cheap and easy to replace and vital .

Top Bottom