Squeaky Rear Mudguard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brodie

My SKS mudguards don't make any noise, are you sure you've fitted them properly?

shorterrearmudguardfitting.jpg

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
As well as what the others have said it could also be where the guards attach to the BB bridge, sometimes the guards make contact with the seat stays and as the bracket flexes the stays rub against the contact points and squeak, you can trim the guard to stop that.

Some modern front mechs, when in the lowest gear position can also make contact with the guard as well, often to the point where the guard can act as a ‘stop’ for the mech’ resulting in the mech’ not being able to travel in far enough; can be a bit more difficult to get around that though.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Paul_Smith SRCC said:
As well as what the others have said it could also be where the guards attach to the BB bridge, sometimes the guards make contact with the seat stays and as the bracket flexes the stays rub against the contact points and squeak, you can trim the guard to stop that.

Some modern front mechs, when in the lowest gear position can also make contact with the guard as well, often to the point where the guard can act as a ‘stop’ for the mech’ resulting in the mech’ not being able to travel in far enough; can be a bit more difficult to get around that though.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Yes, I know about the front mech - I had exactly that problem when I first got the bike. The LBS kind of twisted the mudguard to stop it interferring with the front mech. Don't know if this may have contributed to the squeak!

I think it is definitely something to do with the bracket which caused the squeak. The mudguards were already fitted to the bike when it arrived, so can't comment about whether they were fitted correctly. I'm sure they were (surely Evans isn't that bad!).

I think in the end I'll just get some new mudguards. The front mudguard on the back of the bike seems to be okay for the time being. Might trim the rear guard by the BB though just to see if that makes any difference. The rear guard is b8ggerd anyway..........

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Joe24 said:
Cant you just sprey wd40 or other oil in the bit thats squeeking and see if that stops it?
Or just shove on one of those big mountain bike mudguards you get. Im going to have one of those on my crappy fixed.
Infact, just get rid of that Galaxy, all mudguards will squeek and get a fixed or one of these bad boys:
Image005-1.jpg

Think bout it, very little maintenence, the Dutch dont seem to maintain them at all, so they wont be any noise.
Sorted!

If Plax had one of those she might not drop me quite so easily on Llanberis Pass...
Or she still might. In which case I'd cry.

Top Bottom