Squeeky front wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I went for a bit of a sprint ride yesterday lunchtime and I have now developed an odd sweek in the front wheel, its not the break as I loosened them off and rode around with no front brakes it sounds more like a metal - metal rubb at a particular point on every wheel revolution, although having got back into the office and turned the bike upside down spinning the front wheel does not make the same noise.

I am due for a first service with the bike in 3 weeks and I cant really get to the 'not so local' LBS beforehand. I was wondering if anyone had any idea's or tips to try and self diagnose so I can fix and ride with confidence that I am not damaging my prized possession in the next 3 weeks.

Cheers in advance.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Probably spoke-related. Check they're all intact. Give 'em a little squeeze. Sometimes putting a little drop of lubricant where they cross helps.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
They dont touch where they cross, however there is one pair that' gap is a little closer together at that point than the rest, although they dont feel significantly tighter than the others they are about 1mm apart wheras the others are more like 2.3mm apart at the point of crossing.

I am presuming this should not do too much damage if i carry on riding untill i can get over to the bike shop?

Radius

SHREDDER
That's exactly what I was going to say Joe. It sounded to me like my forks were rattling, but when I got off to look, the rear reflector had come undone (there's an angle bolt as well), and was bouncing off the mudguard. I would have bet that it was coming from the front, but for the fact that I knew this was often the case...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Check your wheel rim at the spoke nipples. Twice I've had squeaking and the cause in both cases was a spoke or two pulling through the rim - admittedly this was in a rear wheel but it's worth checking anyway.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1
Randochap said:
Depends on your definition of "squeak." But wouldn't it be wise to check the hub?

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Randochap said:
Depends on your definition of "squeak." But wouldn't it be wise to check the hub?

Well its sounds a little more like metal on metal rather than the usual 'brake pad too tight' rub you get. Although it happens once on every rotation similarly to a slightly out wheel (this isn't the case) but only above about 8-9mph. All spokes seem fine on front and back (well given them a bit of a squeeze and a wiggle).

The Hub? now am entering into the unknown. :biggrin: ahh the advantages of having an LBS reasonably close! ;):tongue:!

BIGSESAL

This morning I thought I had a similar problem. The wholes ride I could hear something rattling. Thought the bike was about to break. It turned out to be my house keys moving about in my saddle bag:blush:.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
BIGSESAL said:
This morning I thought I had a similar problem. The wholes ride I could hear something rattling. Thought the bike was about to break. It turned out to be my house keys moving about in my saddle bag:blush:.

Ha ha, I only have some plastic tyre levers, a multi-tool and a spare inner tube in the saddle wedge, believe me I have checked for lose items rattling.... but it does it once every revolution, so am very confused..

Top Bottom