Sram Rival vs Shimano Ultegra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgh

I have decided to upgrade mp groupo on my Trek 2100 but cant decide if I should go with the Sram Rival or Shimano Ultegra. Can anyone provide me with some feedback?

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
i use ultegra sl on my madone, but i havent use rivel so cant comments in its performance, but ultegra is a great groupset and shifts very well, well worth the money

GrasB

Veteran
sgh, you'll be happy with either in terms of shifting response & the ability to convert leg power into motion. The real difference is in the way you change gears, for this reason I'd recommend riding a bike with double tap shifters because they may or may not suit the way you ride.

OP
OP
S

sgh

Thanks for the input. Right now Im leaning towards the Rival groupo for $698 vs $794 for the Ultegra 6750. Ive never done much work on my bike except for routine cleaning and new handlbar tape. Should I try and save a few bucks and do it myself or spend the money and have the groupo swapped out at my LBS?

GrasB

Veteran
To change a group set, I assume you're talking about the entire lot, you will need (and this may not be complete)
  • Torque wrench with hex drive socketry (ideally) or a set of allen keys
  • Bottom bracket tools for your old & new bottom brackets
  • chain whip
  • cassette lock ring tool & some kind of handle for it
  • chain breaking tool
  • cable cutters capable of cleanly cutting cable outer
  • something that can crimp cable ends (may be your cable cutters)
  • crank extractor if your old crankset requires it
  • some kind of anti-cease compound or 'assembly grease'

Top Bottom