Sram vs Shimano

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Levers and rear mechs are not compatible between the two platforms, as far as I am aware...? I believe they pull different amounts of cable. Not sure about the front.

I prefer the smooth feel of Shimano but the low weight of SRAM is obviously a plus point. I don't like the way SRAM shifting feels between chainrings, though. Too plasticy and snappy.

I have Rival and 105/Ultegra

James D

I use Shimano for road bikes and Sram for my mountain bikes. Both work extremely well so I guess it's just personal preference as to which brand you use. As for VFM the Sram road groupsets seem to be cheaper and lighter than their Shimano equivalent...

Wobblers

Euthermic
mix and match?

I've done exactly this on my Focus Cayo after the right shifter (Sram Rival) broke. It was cheaper to get a 105 shifter and rear mech than replace with Sram! I prefer Shimano - it's less clunky and certainly far easier when shifting between chainrings. The only downside is the downshift lever integrated with the brake lever - you can either brake or change gear, and that's not ideal. As has already been said, I've also had the occasional moment where I've accidentally braked rather than changed down! But both - and Campagnolo - work well when set up correctly: it's a matter of which ergonomic you prefer.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I ride with SRAM on my road bike, I love it.

How easy/hard is it to shift onto the big ring on SRAM?? I hate shifting onto the big ring with my shimano as I always tend to drop the chain by over shifting!!!

Depends on which groupset and which year tbh. Some are cack, but the new SRAM Red Yaw mech and Exogram chainrings shift super slick! The previous Red front mech was universally slated and the pro's were riding with Force front mechs on their Red equipped bikes, they stuck a sticker on saying Red though of course :tongue:

If you are dropping the chain with any regularity though, something ain't right.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Force or Red 2013

Red 2013 shifts amazingly, front shifts are very good. No need for trim either, the mech rotates as well as moving in and out so no chain rub right across the range, even if you cross chain like a demon!

I do use the previous version of the shifters with my SRAM Red groupset though, as the new ones don't give any trim clicks (since the mech doesn't need it), so you are sort of locked into using the Yaw mech (they designed the front mech, shifters and chainrings to work as a system), I wanted the option of changing mechs incase of needing a quick fix or whatever so use the previous shifter which has a trim click. It does not detriment the performance at all as I can just sweep right past that trim click to drop into the small chainring, coming back into the big ring works the same as the new mech. Basically same performance, more options!

Top Bottom