ss for a beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simini

I am looking into getting a single speed which i will mainly use to commute to work which is a 6 mile each way trip. a few of my mates ride but they mainly use just for show and doing neat moves which i probably will end up doing too

So basically would like some help in how much i am looking at to be spending also don't mind in just getting a second hand one and where to look.

Do you mean single speed or fixed?

Prices range from dirt cheap if you put together your own from bits to as much as a road bike with full kit.

My cheapest was one built on a frame donated by a collegue who had been hit by a car. Needed a new fork, hubs, sprocket, spokes & rims. I recycled some brakes, tubes & tyres. Used the original crank & chainwheel (it was a originally a hub geared bike so no front derailler).

My most expensive is a Pearson Touche on the C2W scheme which was £550 basic price, but I pumped it up to £600 with better tyres and mudguards. I see that the basic price for this is now £600.

I am sure you could spend a lot more if you wanted to

ETA: Oh! and welcome.

RedBike

You can spend as much as you want. Since single speed / fixed bikes became fashionable the prices of some have just gone sky high.

I would think about a budget of £500ish new.

For commuting it's perhaps worth looking for something that can take a mud-guards, perhaps a pannier rack. This will somewhat narrow down your choices.

My shortlist for a single speed commuter was:
Genesis Skyline
Ridgeback Solo (This is what I got)
Planet-x Pompino
Cotic Roadrat
Specialized Tri-cross

I sort of fancied a go at single speed CX as well, which explains the last three on my list.

Oddjob62

fossyant said:
Go fixed, no point with ss.

Agreed. I went ss for about a week then went to fixed (about 4-5months ago) and have never looked back (except for right turns, overtaking, etc :rain:)

Have had 2 fixed gears in that time, first one was an old Raleigh that i converted, and now i've got a Dolan track that i built up from 2nd hand parts.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Just ordered a Kona Paddy Wagon from JE James for £474 quid. It was the most comfortable of the £500 Fixed/ss bikes I could find...Always loved Kona since I rode a Cinder Cone in about 1989.... Its's Steel rather than Ally which is a bonus...
Vike

Bigtwin

Try both before you go fixed or SS. I ride both, but have very competent riding friends that can't stand fixed, and see no advantage over SS. Indeed, around town on the flat I can't really either, but people get very evangelical about the issue.

Very much horses for courses.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Can you handle a spanner? If you're reasonably confident with some basic tools and up for a bit of self-training (re-dishing a wheel, eg, tho' in reality not difficult, is not something most casual riders have done) your best bet is to get an old 531 framed bike off ebay for £80 and convert it yourself.

If you get a flip flop rear hub (i got mine from On-one) you can have fixed and SS. Best of both worlds to help you decide what you prefer.

Top Bottom