SS Road vs MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtwin

Hi folks. Hoping to pick up a 'Dale 1FG next weekend from a friend who wants shot of it. He's got it set up for town commuting on balloons currently, but I'm going to ride it off road round the Surrey Hills mainly.

Thinking about gearing. Currently ride a 54/14 on the road as a commuter on flat/rolling roads. Knocked it down to a 50/14 when I did a hillier route. Generally, I tend to push a little higher gear than most at a given speed (i.e. not riding faster, just mashing more than spinning); always have.

Never ridden SS on serious off road (the above is on a CX frame and has done some summer night canal path trips to the pub, but that's about it). The Dale has a 32/16 option (the stock one I think?) as well as what's on it now for town commuting work.

Seems to me that 32/16 is very low. Or mebbe that's just how it has to be to get up anything significant that's muddy/sandy off road, and too bad on the flat sections?

Given that I'd like to avoid throwing too much money at expensive gearing mistakes, can anyone throw any light my way?

Cheers all.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i run 32:18 on full sus in very very hilly rossendale and i'm not very fit. been ss 5 or 6 weeks now. i think that 32:16 for an experienced ss would be just about right. but if you need to go higher be aware that sheldon brown recommends no smaller than 14 on the rear as there wouldn't be enough chain contact and could possibly slip.

OP
OP
B

Bigtwin

shauncollier said:
but if you need to go higher be aware that sheldon brown recommends no smaller than 14 on the rear as there wouldn't be enough chain contact and could possibly slip.

Hmmm - good point - that would be bloody painful I'd guess!:laugh:

RedBike

I would say it all depends on how much you dislike walking / where you are riding.

32:16 (2:1) seems a pretty common ratio and in my limited exeriance of riding with single speeders they don't have any trouble keeping up on the flat with this ratio. The gearing only really becomes too low downhill on the road.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
32:18 on my retro full stiffy Kona SS MTB which works fine off road in the Surrey Hills, North Downs, Weald, and South Downs. slightly undergeared for flat road cruising but we get along fine.

Just re-doing the chainline after popping a new chainset on her. 32:16 is the off road "norm"

OP
OP
B

Bigtwin

Cheers guys

looks like 32/16 is as good a start point as any then, and see how it goes from there. Hope to get the bike Sunday coming, and have a few miles on it by that night - he's hoping!

trio25

Über Member
They recommend starting with 2:1 and then maybe changing slightly for the terrain you ride.

I ride this ratio (roughly I am on a 29er) and I find if I'm walking I would be at walking speed on a geared bike anyway. If you are somewhere really hilly you might want something easier. If it is mainly flater then something harder.

OP
OP
B

Bigtwin

Well, looks like Grumps was spot on.

Cruised around the road a bit, then whacked on the 32:16 for some real stuff.

Doable, but hard, and knees hurt after a 1/2 day of up and down, and not ideal on lose or muddy climbs. Got some Hookworms on now, so smooth power transfer is important, though they go remarkably well. So, slapped the 18 on the back, and spot on for the hills!

Have to say, it's even more craik that I was hoping it would be - top fun.

Top Bottom