SS with QR wheel ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

McrJ64

I use QR hubs on my single speed with horizontal dropouts and have not had any problems with chain tension/whell pulling over and I am on the large side! Mind you, they are Campag chorus hubs, perhaps quality makes a difference?
Regards, Goldfang.

Is yours originally a single speed bike or a conversion? I didn't know anyone made a rear wheel hub with QR in the right width for a single speed bike. Do they?

Goldfang

The frame started out as a 'ten' speed road bike of uncertain ancestry, possibly a Carlton or Raleigh. The rear hub (Campag chorus) has a freewheel convertor from Charlie the Bikemonger on a Campag cassette body.
Regards, Goldfang.

McrJ64

Thanks for that Galdfang. It seems then that no-one takes a standard single speed wheel and converts it from solid axle to QR. Shame. If I manage to do it, I'll add something to the forum.

mattsccm

Its easy. Get 1 solid axle wheel. Take out axle and strip off cones etc . Get hollow axle of correct length ie not quite reaching the outside of the dropouts. Rebuild wheel. Of course you did note which spacers came from which side didn't you?
I am a non stop fiddler with things and regularly swap things. I tend to leave wheels rideable rather than in bits so 1 swap means 2 wheels dealt with. Its no differnt to swapping any axle.

To be honest and definitely not rude, anyone who has ever greased their cones has in effect done this job.

I run QR's on all my SS and fixed. Some people, used to modern road bikes are probably not aware that many if not most older bikes. say steel ones had forward facing near horizontal dropouts.

Use a decent QR helps

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never managed to pull the wheel out ... even with 15 stone of me standing on the pedals on 10% hills!
I was on a different bike, but I actually did just that on a forum ride on Sunday! It was a short climb at about 10% and I thought I could power my way up without resorting to the granny ring. I pulled the wheel out twice before I made sure to do the QR up really tight.

I've never done it with Shimano or Campagnolo QRs. In this case it was the Mavic QRs which came with my Aksiums.

McrJ64

Its easy. Get 1 solid axle wheel. Take out axle and strip off cones etc . Get hollow axle of correct length ie not quite reaching the outside of the dropouts. Rebuild wheel. Of course you did note which spacers came from which side didn't you?
I am a non stop fiddler with things and regularly swap things. I tend to leave wheels rideable rather than in bits so 1 swap means 2 wheels dealt with. Its no differnt to swapping any axle.

To be honest and definitely not rude, anyone who has ever greased their cones has in effect done this job.

I run QR's on all my SS and fixed. Some people, used to modern road bikes are probably not aware that many if not most older bikes. say steel ones had forward facing near horizontal dropouts.

Use a decent QR helps
Thanks for that. It sounds so straightforward. I read/heard somewhere that the existing cone threads would be a different thread to the replacement axle, which is why I thought it was going to be so tricky. You've encouraged me to give it a go. I think I have a QR hub lying around. If it's a back one, it'll be too long but do you think I can just cut the excess off the axle. Provided there's enough thread length, I can do the same with the qr too.

McrJ64

A friend gave me an old back wheel (Shimano WHR500) and I got the axle out. It's the same thread as the solid axle (you said it would be). It was a bit long so I cut it down. The cones fitted but I couldn't get one onto the axle far enough as it ran out of thread. I'll keep on looking for an old axle suitable. If necessary I might have to buy one but perish the thought of spending any money! At least I now know that the theory does work, as it said you would. Some other websites I've visited said there would be all sorts of problems with threads incompatability.

Top Bottom