Stag Beetles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For reasons i can't remember, I was recently discussing Stag Beetles. It occurred to me that I haven't seen one for ages, yet they were quite common when I was a kid.

Have one of you lot pinched them ?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
They are an endangered species now. I see at least a couple ever year down in Kent, but in think the South East is their preferred habitat.

Same with butterflies, when i was young i used to catch them in a net in the garden, it wouldn't take me long to have caught a few, now I hardly see a butterfly at all.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
They are an endangered species now. I see at least a couple ever year down in Kent, but in think the South East is their preferred habitat.

Same with butterflies, when i was young i used to catch them in a net in the garden, it wouldn't take me long to have caught a few, now I hardly see a butterfly at all.
Yes, cabbage whites, a few commas and the odd little blue late summer ones (I think the cabbage white has another name these days). It's over 5 years since I last saw a stag beetle hereabouts. The insect population in general doesn't seem capable of surviving modern pollution like they did with the older, coal-based pollution.

Top Bottom