Starting again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
The only defeat is not to attempt to ride. As long as you get out , no matter how far, and whether you turn round, it will be a win.

Thank you, I'm starting to look forward to it now.

Jameshow

Veteran
Don't worry about it!

We all have to start again at different points in our cycling career an illness, a crash, even just getting out on dark nights takes that extra mental energy to do.

I'd suggest setting a small achievable plan, like riding round the block, this allows you to go out without pressure. Check the bikes ok, check you feel comfortable on it, If you feel good you can extend it.

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
Don't worry about it!

We all have to start again at different points in our cycling career an illness, a crash, even just getting out on dark nights takes that extra mental energy to do.

I'd suggest setting a small achievable plan, like riding round the block, this allows you to go out without pressure. Check the bikes ok, check you feel comfortable on it, If you feel good you can extend it.

Some good tips there, thank you.

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
I managed
Several years ago I began cycling and loved it. I have a Trek Marlin 7 and a Carrera Subway E electric bike.

I'm 54. I've experienced some health problems over the past 3 years and have only been using the e-bike and cycling short distances.

I want to start riding the Trek again and keep the e-bike for utility rides.

I'm struggling a bit with feelings of defeat before I start, so posting her to re-engage with this great community.

I have my first, short, unassisted ride planned for Friday. I know I'll feel good when I've done it.

Several years ago I began cycling and loved it. I have a Trek Marlin 7 and a Carrera Subway E electric bike.

I'm 54. I've experienced some health problems over the past 3 years and have only been using the e-bike and cycling short distances.

I want to start riding the Trek again and keep the e-bike for utility rides.

I'm struggling a bit with feelings of defeat before I start, so posting her to re-engage with this great community.

I have my first, short, unassisted ride planned for Friday. I know I'll feel good when I've done it.

Update: I managed the six mile loop today. I did have to stop on a couple of hills but still absolutely loved the ride. I'll be going out again over the weekend. Thanks for all the encouragement 😊.

icowden

Veteran
Update: I managed the six mile loop today. I did have to stop on a couple of hills but still absolutely loved the ride. I'll be going out again over the weekend. Thanks for all the encouragement 😊.
Well done! Another thing that I have found really helps is finding a good group of people to go out cycling with. Some cycle clubs will focus on the traditional 28mph MAMIL types, but you will likely find clubs that are much more on the social side or which offer a social side. I ride with a social group from my local club. I may graduate to the "steady group" one of these weeks but at the moment we are a mixed bag of pensioners and youngsters who like to go for a ride , wait for each other on hills etc and grab a cake and coffee half way round.

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
Well done! Another thing that I have found really helps is finding a good group of people to go out cycling with. Some cycle clubs will focus on the traditional 28mph MAMIL types, but you will likely find clubs that are much more on the social side or which offer a social side. I ride with a social group from my local club. I may graduate to the "steady group" one of these weeks but at the moment we are a mixed bag of pensioners and youngsters who like to go for a ride , wait for each other on hills etc and grab a cake and coffee half way round.

That sounds like a great group to ride with. I’ve made contact with a local community group, so may try their next ride. My partner also cycles, so I do a mix of solo riding and with company.

Top Bottom