steering tube advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
Hi all my steering tube has a rust stain on the bottom where the fork comes out.It wasn't there the other day , there is no play or roughness in lock to lock.I can only assume the recent constant deluges have washed the grease out.Never greased one of these new types.Its a ridge back supernova.It has spacers etc what's the best way to tackle it ? Carbon forks ally frame.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Rusty bearings. Inspect, clean and grease if only on the surface, replace if the balls or race have gone.

Parkool repair website is good.
Photograph your stack before dissassembly, and store on a loop of chord/cable/wire in correct order.
If you need replacement bearings, note that there is no longer a standard, they come in many different forms.

Tim Hall

Although the Park Tools article talks a lot about removing and reinstalling bearing cups. You shouldn't need to do that. Follow it to see how to strip it down, then clean the bits up, whack some grease in and reassemble.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Had a similar issue myself the other day on a recently bought second hand MTB. Look on YouTube for a guide. You probably have a semi integrated headset and they are fairly simple. Mine was almost dry with rusty looking remaining grease. A quick clean and regrease and all is well once more...

OP
OP
wisdom

wisdom

Guru
Thanks for all your replies and advice.Really simple to do.Cages were still intact so a good clean up of the bearings and races.regreased and reassembled all is good they've never been touched from new and bike is used daily whatever the weather so pretty good really.Thanks again.

Top Bottom