Stem Bell - won't stay still

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
As the bars of my new bike are already cluttered up (Fazua controller unit, Garmin, light), I decided to go with a Crane stem bell (as I'm already a Crane fan after using a mini one on the road bike for years). The bell is basically attached to a spacer which you use to replace an existing headset spacer.

The problem is that the thing just keeps moving around, because it's not being compressed between the existing spacers and held tight. I've tried slackening off the stem bolts and tightening up the headset bolt to try and compress it more, but the headset bolt is now really tight and tightening it more would prevent the bars turning freely. The bell still moves.

How can I stop it swivelling round the stem? A very thin shim? A smear of threadlock around the inside of the bell's spacer?

Suggestions welcome!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'd suggest a bit of glue inside the spacer.
That would allow you to tighten the headset while it sets and so not overloading it.
A dab of Gorilla glue would be perfect for this as it expands as it sets, but not too much. It's tough stuff.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Put the spacer you took off back on. Your bars will only be a smidge higher due to the bell acting as a spacer. Loosen the stem bolts then push the bars down with your weight. Tighten up. Should work. I have a Lion Bell on my tourer and cargo bike which is the same system.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As has been alluded above it sounds like the bell spacer is thinner than the one you replaced and therefore the top cap is pushing against the top of the steerer tube. You need to add more spacer height back in.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Do you have any spacers above the stem? If so, try replacing one of them with the bell. Adjust the headset in the normal way. Once the stem bolts are tightened up, try tightening the top cap a bit more.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The crucial question nobody has asked is: does the top of the stem sit well above the steerer tube? The top bolt and cap should be free to pull the steerer and stem together.

Top Bottom