Stem hinge - Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
The hinge on my Brompton's stem has a habit of getting stuck.

By which I mean, I'll ride to the station and attempt to fold my bike down when I get there. But sometimes, even though it's fully loosened off, the clamp gets stuck to the hinge.

To release it needs leverage. So a multi-tool screwdriver for example. it's not a horrible situation, but sometimes when I'm hustling for the train, taking time to get a tool out my bag is additional hassle and time.

There is significant paint rub and I suspect that the oxidization of the two parts is the issue. It's worse when it's wet.

Anyone experienced this? If so how did you solve it?

If not, how would you attempt to solve it?

When the clamp is done up, there should be a gap between the bottom of the clamp 'c' and the two plates. They're designed to wear to preserve the frame, and overtightening or simple wear and tear will make the clamp splay over time so it could be that more surface area is in contact than is ideal.

First port of call, I think would be to clean both surfaces thoroughly and make sure there's no grippy crap in there and that the mating surfaces are smooth. If, when its done up the clamp is starting to bottom out then it's time for a £7 replacement hinge clamp plate or an upgrade to a whizzy, aftermarket self-extracting one :smile: SJS do them for a bargainacious £154.99!!

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I did replace them a while back with black edition ones. But the bike is now 9 years' old so they could be due another replacement I guess.

Brompton recommend every 5 years IIRC.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Just checked - it was five years ago.

1717584779157.png

Looks like it's time for some new ones.

Don't think I'll be spending £155 quid though.

gizmo1994

I have just had exactly the same on the wife's Brompton. The hinge clamp stuck down on folding (which doesn't happen often as the bikes sit, ready to go by the front door). We resorted to hitting the clamp with a knife handle from the drawer and that would dislodge it usually. I took off the hinge clamps and just cleaned then in the washing up water, along with the contact points on the frame. It is now really free and comes off easily.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I put a smear of grease on the jaws to.prevent sticking.

Lubrication is probably the answer; personally I prefer Dr. Wafter's patent paste-wax (softened, squishy paraffin wax) as It doesn't retain contamination..

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Mine started doing that. I gave it a good clean - removing the clamps to do it properly - and it's been fine since.

ditto with mine, I could release them by thumping the clamp, but cleaning the clamp plates cured it. Mine will be 20 yeas old next year, although it hasn't been used much in past 5 years.

Top Bottom