Stems and Bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am reposting this in the MTB section because I originally posted it in the Gneral Cycling section but could not get a response. Hope that is okay. Maybe it's a silly question, feel free to tell me if it is. I have recently had my 1997 Kona Explosif nicked and whilst I am waiting for the insurance company to sort me out with a replacement of some sort I have bought a second hand Parkpre 825 from around the late nineties so I have something to get me round on. Now this was something of find, it's a bloody brilliant frame and the bike is well specced out, my intention is to put some commuter tyres on it and use it as a run around. The problem is that after a few rides and a fair bit of tweaking the bike gives me a slightly sore lower back. The bike has a long flatish stem and flat bars whereas my old kona had riders bars and a shorter riser stem. Is this likely to be the cause of my lower back discomfort? Am I just not used to a sportier ride position and given some time I will get used to it? Should I just get a new stem and riser bars? Could it be something else?

Thanks

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I guess you have already tweaked the saddle possition so if you are going to change anything I would say put risers on it. If that still doesn't solve the problem them go for a shorter stem with a more acute angle.

Best of luck :smile:

I am reposting this in the MTB section because I originally posted it in the Gneral Cycling section but could not get a response. Hope that is okay. Maybe it's a silly question, feel free to tell me if it is. I have recently had my 1997 Kona Explosif nicked and whilst I am waiting for the insurance company to sort me out with a replacement of some sort I have bought a second hand Parkpre 825 from around the late nineties so I have something to get me round on. Now this was something of find, it's a bloody brilliant frame and the bike is well specced out, my intention is to put some commuter tyres on it and use it as a run around. The problem is that after a few rides and a fair bit of tweaking the bike gives me a slightly sore lower back. The bike has a long flatish stem and flat bars whereas my old kona had riders bars and a shorter riser stem. Is this likely to be the cause of my lower back discomfort? Am I just not used to a sportier ride position and given some time I will get used to it? Should I just get a new stem and riser bars? Could it be something else?

Thanks

epictrail

Regular
Sounds like you're stretching over to far. So Yes shorter stem (twichier handling) and / or riser bars. The other thing you could try is a fatter rear tyre for more comfort and or less tyre pressure.

Top Bottom