Stems and seatposts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am thinking of swapping my stem for a shorter one. Apart from the obvious - length, angle, diameters - what properties should I be looking out for? Does anyone have any recommendations? Or is it pretty much the case that a stem is a stem is a stem...

Also, does anyone have an opinion on using an inline seatpost to artificially increase seat tube angle?

I am basically wanting to use a rather relaxed geometry bike as a more FDAU racer, so if anyone has any (sensible) advice it would be most welcome...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you can get the bike to fit properly (Knee over pedal axle) on the current geometry, then an inline seatpost is not needed IMO.

As for stems, buy the one that looks nicest within your price range. You are essentially paying more for decreased weight and/or increased stiffness.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
That confirms what I thought about stems.

WRT seat tubes, what then is the reason for the steeper angle on a TT bike?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That confirms what I thought about stems.

WRT seat tubes, what then is the reason for the steeper angle on a TT bike?

To rotate the whole rider forward around the pedal axle so that the front end can be lower without closing the hip angle up too much and compromising power in the pursuit of getting more aero.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
To rotate the whole rider forward around the pedal axle so that the front end can be lower without closing the hip angle up too much and compromising power in the pursuit of getting more aero.
I see. And you wouldn't consider it possible / desirable to attempt to emulate this position on a standard road bike?

I should point out that the type of racing that I'm interested in is duathlon, which is why I'm drawing comparisons with TT bikes, but also that anything like faffing about with aero bars or such would be getting way ahead of myself at this point.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I see. And you wouldn't consider it possible / desirable to attempt to emulate this position on a standard road bike?

I should point out that the type of racing that I'm interested in is duathlon, which is why I'm drawing comparisons with TT bikes, but also that anything like faffing about with aero bars or such would be getting way ahead of myself at this point.

TBH, I would ride with a normal set up. If you push the saddle forward, you will end up cramped, probably more upright or with a very arched back unless you buy a longer more aggressive stem too.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
TBH, I would ride with a normal set up. If you push the saddle forward, you will end up cramped, probably more upright or with a very arched back unless you buy a longer more aggressive stem too.
I'm actually going for a shorter stem to correct what is probably a size too large frame, so will get everything set up normally and go from there. Cheers for the advice. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom