Stick or twist? Advise needed on old (or new?) bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fish_on_a_bike

I have a small dilema that I'm looking for some help with.

5 years ago I got back into mtbing, and with a fresh student loan bought a Dawes Edge2Comp for £550. V-brakes but disc-ready. A beautiful bike that has stayed strong and reliable with a hell of a lot of riding, on and off road, comuting and leisure (single track, etc).

Over the past couple of years I've been riding it on empty. The front derailier moves up but not down, the crank needs replacing (but still works when tightened with a 8mm alan key) and the forks seem to be a tiny bit loose between the tubes and the legs (but again, still work well).

I was begining to think about treating it to a full service, then last fortnight some little *u** stole my rear wheel (I emplore any of you to lock the rear to the frame, as well as the frame and front wheel to something solid).

Money is very very tight at the moment. Do I commit to getting a decent disc hub (as i was, and still do plan on getting discs), rim and cassette, then give it the full service?
Or do I get a cheep as possible rear wheel and start saving for a new bike (which my involve selling my old one)?

I've been off a bike now for two weeks and I'm begining to get withdrawal symptoms (cycling in sleep, leaving empty locks around lamp-posts, staring vacantly into the bike shop window, etc).
Please, any advise is very welcome, about what to do, what components to get, where from...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Welcome.

Hmm ... definitely understanding the off the bike bit ... I keep looking at cyclists and wanting to shout I'm one too:blush:

As to what you should do ... I think you need to ask yourself are you going to save up for that new bike and if so will you be keeping this one as the spare. I like disk brakes but don't know what difference in price that would make to the wheels. Sorry I'm not much help am I.

MichaelM

Guru
I'd tend to agree with madonerider. Having said taht, if it were me and I was particularly happy with the frame I'd do the exact opposite and upgrade. I suppose it depends on how happy you are working on your own bike.

You could get a new bike with discs for £270:

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p1850

I'd probably keep what I've got and put on £270 worth of deore /lx parts. Singletrack has an active classifieds section if you want to try the second hand route.

spence

Über Member
Agree with the above. Ie a new bike may be the way forward. With the recent price hike for components a new bike is definitely worth less than the sum of its components. In a good way.....

As for a re-build, from what you say and the age it sounds like you almost need a whole group set. Even if you can get away with a new drive train and mechs + cables will be about £200 (Deore ). And pair of wheels Deore wheels - rim/disc - are about £80.

From what you describe, the bushings in the forks have either gone or going. These may be replaceable depending on the brand and age. But again will cost about £100 including a service (eg Fox at Mojo or TF).

So you can see it'll soon ad up. But it's your choice. If you're happy with the frame, that is it fits and does all you want it to do, is it worth spendin the money on?

Good luck with whatever you do and get back on a bike asap.

tyred

Legendary Member
If you're happy with the frame you have, I would upgrade/rebuild. You'll always learn something along the way as well.

02GF74

Über Member
how much you wanna spend?

I found a full sus bike, new, mongoose, hydraulic disc for a feind on ebay for £ 250 (1/2 price)

there are bargains to be had if you know where to look or get lucky.

oh, sounds like your bike is worth FA - so don't build your hopes up in getting any significant amount of moeny towards its replacememnnt.

re: you disc rear wheel; you'd want disc on front plus brakes, and shifters if they currently are one piece units (STI). I'd say you are looking at best part of £ 200 + easily.

You can add on another £ 100 or 2 and get a complete bike.

Upgrading is not as cost effective as buying a complete bike.

OP
OP
F

fish_on_a_bike

wow, thanks for all your thoughts. I have decided to get a cheap bike wheel for now, just so I can get cycling again.
I think I will slowly build on my current frame. If I were to spend the 200-300-odd quid on a new bike I don't think I'd be gettting as good quality as spending it on new components.

Top Bottom