Sticking Chain Link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
On my bicycle, I've got a chain link that was sticking so I attempted to wiggle it free but had no luck (I didn't want to break it either).
Today I cycled, although every five strokes the pedals slipped as the stuck link went through, and managed to get to one of the LBS'.
I asked if they would be able to take a look but they couldn't do it there and then so I had to leave my bike their and get transport home.

I forgot to get a receipt stupidly, but regardless here is my question:

They guy in the shop said,

- We shall try and pry the chain link loose
- If this fails, we shall have to replace the chain link
- If that fails we shall need to replace the chain and possible the "cogs"

I've asked them to phone me before they do any work on it, but surely all they need to do is loosen the link or something along those lines, and even if it did come to replacing the chain... why the "cogs"?

Thanks for any advice.

HovR

Über Member
and even if it did come to replacing the chain... why the "cogs"?

Thanks for any advice.

Because the chain and cassette (cogs) wear together. If you have left your current chain on for too long then the cassette will have worn down to match the chain, meaning any new chain put on will slip.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Because the chain and cassette (cogs) wear together. If you have left your current chain on for too long then the cassette will have worn down to match the chain, meaning any new chain put on will slip.

Makes sense, thanks for the quick reply :tongue:

Still a newbie in terms of repairing/replacing

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
From what you've said, worst case will be a link replacement though.

Thanks, it has only been like this for probably five miles (in terms of riding, of which 3 was to the LBS). So I can't imagine there has been too much damage.

Top Bottom