Stolen Treks in York - 8000 and 4400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chat Noir

Regular
Sadly, have had two Treks stolen this afternoon, from shed at back of garden, and a green BMX bike. White Trek 8000, Rock Shox Reba forks, Hope hubs / Mavic rims, Shimano groupset; and silver Trek 4400, red, Duke forks, Hope hubs / Mavic rims, Shimano bits. One of the bikes is electronically tagged, have frame numbers for both bikes, both had seat stems and quick release seat clamps removed, the 8000 had pedals removed. Police think part of a local group (we're in west York), but feeling pretty sore. For what it's worth, they left behind a 731 Bob Jackson and a 753 Peugeot, amongst other bikes, so they don't fancy trying to off-load road bikes. We had decided not to lock the bikes within the shed, having decided if someone gets in there, let them, without damaging the bikes. Now, we've moved all bikes inside the house. Will obtain alarm for shed

As ever, if anyone spots anything like this, we'd be eternally grateful. Sorry to hear of other people's losses, I just think of all those fabulous miles cycled on these bikes, it's heart-breaking that they get dumped somewhere for a few pounds.

Good luck

e-rider

crappy member
Sadly, have had two Treks stolen this afternoon, from shed at back of garden, and a green BMX bike. White Trek 8000, Rock Shox Reba forks, Hope hubs / Mavic rims, Shimano groupset; and silver Trek 4400, red, Duke forks, Hope hubs / Mavic rims, Shimano bits. One of the bikes is electronically tagged, have frame numbers for both bikes, both had seat stems and quick release seat clamps removed, the 8000 had pedals removed. Police think part of a local group (we're in west York), but feeling pretty sore. For what it's worth, they left behind a 731 Bob Jackson and a 753 Peugeot, amongst other bikes, so they don't fancy trying to off-load road bikes. We had decided not to lock the bikes within the shed, having decided if someone gets in there, let them, without damaging the bikes. Now, we've moved all bikes inside the house. Will obtain alarm for shed

As ever, if anyone spots anything like this, we'd be eternally grateful. Sorry to hear of other people's losses, I just think of all those fabulous miles cycled on these bikes, it's heart-breaking that they get dumped somewhere for a few pounds.

Good luck

"We had decided not to lock the bikes within the shed, having decided if someone gets in there, let them, without damaging the bikes"

well, that's what happened so they got the bikes undamaged - lucky them! Perhaps you need to re-think this strategy for next time!?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
"We had decided not to lock the bikes within the shed, having decided if someone gets in there, let them, without damaging the bikes"

well, that's what happened so they got the bikes undamaged - lucky them! Perhaps you need to re-think this strategy for next time!?

I don't understand the logic of leaving unlocked bikes in a locked shed.

The thieves won't have believed their luck.

The weakest link tends to be the locks on the shed/garage doors.

My bikes are secured with bolt cropper resistant heavy duty chains normally used to secure motorbikes and it's strategically placed so that it's impossible to get the links onto the ground to give extra purchase to any tools used to attempt to cut through the chains.

I also suggest that no tools are left in the garage/shed.

On the one occasion that I suffered from a garage break in pre-chain security, the scrots used a hacksaw stored in the garage to saw through a frame of a cheap bike to lever it apart and thread the heavy duty cable lock through the gap liberating a more expensive bike (£250 quids worth)

Top Bottom