Stopping water running into your overshoes ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Use waterproof gaffer tape to seal the tops of the overshoes, but be careful removing it (unless you shave your legs for cycling, of course). :whistle:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I've heard some people put a layer of tin foil sandwiched between the shoe and the overshoe, though this was more to do with keeping toes warm in the winter but the idea still works for keeping the rain out

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Either the wrists cut off from a pair of marigolds, or you can put "drysuit latex ankle seals" into google and pay about £8-10 for the pukka article.

Either the wrists cut off from a pair of marigolds, or you can put "drysuit latex ankle seals" into google and pay about £8-10 for the pukka article.

Been looking at the "drysuit latex ankle seals" online and assume that the measurement given, i.e. 36cm or 42cm, is for the larger circumference that we would place facing down over the outside of our cycling shoes/boots?

I'm feeling quite exited about using this option worn over my Northwave cycling boots this winter, as I feel that with leggings over the outside of the seal the amount of water getting into the boots could be negligible.

Does anyone on here use these?

Graham

Jason

What do you mean? I have used gaffer tape to seal up holes and mesh sections on 2 pairs of shoe (SPD and SPD-SL). Neoprene boots then cover up the whole shoe/ankle and hey presto - water/wind resistant footwear.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'm feeling quite exited about using this option worn over my Northwave cycling boots this winter, as I feel that with leggings over the outside of the seal the amount of water getting into the boots could be negligible.
I've found that I don't get worse than slightly damp, which could easily be sweat (Lake winter boots, marigold wrists covering the top of the boot, from shin skin past the last opening in the top of the boot. and Endura longs over the marigolds).
It doesn't stop the boots filling up if you put a foot down in a flood, up to mid-shin.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Been looking at the "drysuit latex ankle seals" online and assume that the measurement given, i.e. 36cm or 42cm, is for the larger circumference that we would place facing down over the outside of our cycling shoes/boots?

Does anyone on here use these?

Graham

I do and they work pretty well (I also have Northwave boots, best bit of Winter kit I have).
You have to make sure that the seals start above your socks so that they're in contact with skin rather than fabric which will wick water downwards.
I don't shave my legs although I'm tempted to do so to get a better seal.......
Initially, I used cut off Marigolds but they're so full of filler (to make them cheaper) that they tear very quickly. My "diver" ankle seals are on their 3rd Winter and are still going strong.
Eventually your feet will get damp but, IME, it takes many, many hours.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If you are going down the seal route, if you can get them, my preference would be neoprene rather than latex. Other divers on here might disagree, but I find latex pulls at my skin when taking off a dry suit, whether round my neck or wrists. Neoprene doesn't.

Top Bottom