Stopzilla trojan hunter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I use Avast, Malwarebytes and a microsoft thing y, which have nothing untoward to report.

I downloaded a free scan of Stopzilla which has reported the presence of CatchMe trojan - it indicates the registry file and appdata/local/temp locations of said trojan but when I look for them manually they don't appear to be there.

Is SZ finding something serious or pretending to in the hope that I'll cough up $40 to buy their product?

confused of Brighton

slugonabike

A quick 'google' reveals some satisfied customers but many more complaints.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
got to say that would alarm bells ringing for me, but must ask why did you download the free scan, were you trying to rectify something specific or just curious? My understanding is that these 'free scans' always find something.

PBancroft

Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D for me (alongside McAfee corporately and Avast privately). Anything else would have to come HIGHLY recommended and frankly... I've never heard of Stopzilla until today.

I've never heard of Stopzilla but I know there's a few scam antivirus software out there that say they've found a trojan/ worm and will need to download or pay for the software to remove it; that software either contains a virus or does nothing other than having conned folk.

I've never heard of Stopzilla but I know there's a few scam antivirus software out there that say they've found a trojan/ worm and will need to download or pay for the software to remove it; that software either contains a virus or does nothing other than having conned folk.

+1 If you haven't positive reports from people who know stuff, don't touch it with a barge pole.
Reviews of it are middling at best anyway from the established security/AV researchers, but the stuff you already use is very well regarded.

Svendo

Guru
There are some really nasty trojans that use this method, My step child nearly got her Mum's laptop infected with 'Vista Security Centre' (Also comes in XP flavour) which if clicked on installs spyware that is awkward at best to remove, judging from people's experiences online. Fortunatey I caught it before stepchild clicked the pop up, and I think malware bytes removed it.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
got to say that would alarm bells ringing for me, but must ask why did you download the free scan, were you trying to rectify something specific or just curious? My understanding is that these 'free scans' always find something.

Nothing really except that there was a delay which started occurring after a keystroke and someone suggested it might be a malware thing. He said he'd tried this Stopzilla, so I had a go as it was free.

Now I fear that I have imported something when it was totally unnecessary. If it didn't pop up on every reboot and tell me I have CatchMe trojan I'd be happily living in bliss.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Nothing really except that there was a delay which started occurring after a keystroke and someone suggested it might be a malware thing. He said he'd tried this Stopzilla, so I had a go as it was free.

Now I fear that I have imported something when it was totally unnecessary. If it didn't pop up on every reboot and tell me I have CatchMe trojan I'd be happily living in bliss.

Have you tried running a full malwarebytes scan to see if it picks up the Stopzilla as a problem?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Have you tried running a full malwarebytes scan to see if it picks up the Stopzilla as a problem?

Yes, and it doesn't!

The thing that puzzles me is that the route given as one of the problems is User>appdata>local>temp>catchme

or something like that but when I look in that file(?) it isn't there. The same happens if I search the registry for the supposedly corrupted entries. If I search for catchme in the registry it only comes up with entries with SZ attached.

Thanks for trying Al but don't give it too much of your time.

Top Bottom