Storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roscoe

Veteran
I currently have a Trek 3700 that I keep in the shed, however it's a tad damp in there. Last year I was using a paraffin heater to create some heat, however the fumes created a lot of soot.

As I will be buying my first road bike soon, I don't want it rusting from the damp.

Any suggestions for creating a damp free environment in the shed? Electricity not an option as I'd have to run an extension lead from the house.

stu1903

Über Member
I keep my carbon road bike in the shed and cover it with an old curtain then one of the plastic bike covers from halfords.

david k

Hi
we used to put a light bulb in a large steel tool box to keep out overalls dry on site

elec defo not an option?

any combustion creates vapour, so not a great option unless well ventilated and paraffin heater on permanent

OP
OP
Roscoe

Roscoe

Veteran
Taking this one stage further, how do you guys ensure the bike is totally dry after a wet ride? No matter what I do I can never get it dry, hence bits and pieces rusting. Don't want to buy a new bike and have the same thing happen.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Taking this one stage further, how do you guys ensure the bike is totally dry after a wet ride? No matter what I do I can never get it dry, hence bits and pieces rusting. Don't want to buy a new bike and have the same thing happen.

Bounce the bike on it's tyres to shake off most of the water then rag it down.
It's worked for me over the years.

Just going slightly orf topic ... do you guys find the handlebar clamp bolts go rusty rather quick due to the "engine"
on the bike dripping "coolant" off its forehead? All three of my bikes have brown stem bolts.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just going slightly orf topic ... do you guys find the handlebar clamp bolts go rusty rather quick due to the "engine"
on the bike dripping "coolant" off its forehead? All three of my bikes have brown stem bolts.

A small dab of grease on each will put paid to that

Top Bottom