Storing parsnips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ooh.

What you need to do is get some sharp sand and put a layer down on the ground as big as you need to cover all of the parsnips, preferably in a sheltered position. Lay the parsnips on the sand then cover with more sand, then finally cover with a layer of straw then a layer of earth about six inches thick. Use as neccarsary.

I've got the same problem Maggot. I've got a bucket full of the buggers in the outhouse and half a row still in the ground. They're just starting to sprout new leaf on top, so I need to get them out soon. What I usually do is roast them in bulk and then freeze the ones that I don't scoff on the spot.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kirstie said:
Would someone like to tell me how the parsnip 'knows' it's spring please?

The same way as the birds and the bees, but "the birds and the parsnips" wasn't such a catchy cliche...

Cubist

Still wavin'
Neighbour of mine used to make Parsnip wine. Can't help you with a recipe, but it was awesome.

Uncle Mort said:
I don't understand Chuffy. What's the point of roasting them and freezing them? You've still got to heat/cook them afterwards and they'll never be crispy. Why not just blanch them and freeze and chuck them in the roasting tin still frozen? Maybe I'm just being thick agen...
They cook up quite quicker and it's much easier than faffing about trying to work out the timings of things when you're juggling a roast. Besides, what's not to love about a plan that leaves you with a bukkit of roasted parsnips? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom