Straight to DVD movies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've been keeping an eye on the new KingKong versus Godzilla movie, released today (not in cinemas obviously). I thought I don't mind buying it for £12 or so, as my son will want to watch it with me again in a few days.

So I go onto Amazon and it's £15.99 TO RENT! You don't even get to buy it. What a rip-off. That's more expensive than the cinema and you don't get the cinema experience, nor do you even get to keep it in your collection.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oof, that's not cheap. Might have to see if it's available 'else where' (ahem).

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I've been keeping an eye on the new KingKong versus Godzilla movie, released today (not in cinemas obviously). I thought I don't mind buying it for £12 or so, as my son will want to watch it with me again in a few days.

So I go onto Amazon and it's £15.99 TO RENT! You don't even get to buy it. What a rip-off. That's more expensive than the cinema and you don't get the cinema experience, nor do you even get to keep it in your collection.
It does seem a lot but cinemas are closed so films have to earn money somehow.
Plus a cinema ticket for 4 people would be close to £50 including the snacks and parking etc. So it’s still cheaper overall.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It does seem a lot but cinemas are closed so films have to earn money somehow.
Plus a cinema ticket for 4 people would be close to £50 including the snacks and parking etc. So it’s still cheaper overall.
Yes that's a fair point. But for that price the big screen experience is part of the cost I'm willing to pay. But for home viewing, I think it's far too steep.

A lot of your £10 ticket goes towards the cost of opening the cinema for 2.5 hours. Should be a lot cheaper to just post you a DVD.
I think Amazon's* pricing algorithms produce a few oddities, and you might find it's much cheaper in a month. Despite a dislike for Amazon, I'm generally against eye-patch+parrot based distribution channels.

*Many/most current film releases can be bought without involving them :smile:

fossyant

I'm not into that these days, too many poor quality streams and lots of buffering and failed sources. I think I'll wait for the DVD release!

Full HD version here. Really good monster movie. PS pay Netflix, Amazon and Disney and BT alot each month - appart from my BT internet being so bad we can only connect using VPN last 3 days....

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes that's a fair point. But for that price the big screen experience is part of the cost I'm willing to pay. But for home viewing, I think it's far too steep.
Ag, the big screen experience. Massively overpriced and stale popcorn, some twunt next you you who cant leave their phone alone in the darkened auditorium, sitting in a seat in which a fat man has just spent 2 hours sweating and farting into the foam, and hoping you don't catch covid.

People went to the cinema because there was little alternative back then. Now there is no reason to go at all, so the industry makes up some soppy bollards about "the experience" and expect people to fall for it.

fossyant

Ag, the big screen experience. Massively overpriced and stale popcorn, some twunt next you you who cant leave their phone alone in the darkened auditorium, sitting in a seat in which a fat man has just spent 2 hours sweating and farting into the foam, and hoping you don't catch covid.

People went to the cinema because there was little alternative back then. Now there is no reason to go at all, so the industry makes up some soppy bollards about "the experience" and expect people to fall for it.

There has been some amazing stuff come out of streaming services, so that where it lies. I've only got Disney for Star Wars stuff and any Marvel. - MrsF doesn't do Star Wars, but has done the whole Marvel stuff. The kids stuff we no longer need ! :sad:

keithmac

Guru
Never been a fan of the Cinema, decent TV and Surround sound at home does us well enough.

Plus you don't have to sit near random people, can pause the film to go for a wee/ beer etc :laugh:.

Top Bottom