Strange the things you miss...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
...like the wing of cars and the back of people carriers. :ohmy:

Nice tailwind this morning, riding up the Itchen Bridge at a fair old speed, another faster rider in front. Both of us are nipping around the slower riders struggling on BSOs (those cyclelanes really could do with being wider!). I was making good progress because he was riding very strong and fast, I estimate the guy was doing 20mph uphill.:ohmy: :becool: A nice man in a taxi decided to try and spoon me with his rear door by driving/swerving into the cyclelane, so I brake and dropped back, then catch up.

We both head down the otherside and the RAB junction is coming up, I shoulder check to see if its safe to pull out for primary through the junction and nip in behind a taxi. I presumed the other rider had already taken a similar position but as I look back towards the front again I see the taxi has just barged through the other rider nearly knocking him. He, understandably, got a little angry and tried to punch the window. However the force of throwing his fist out sends him off balance and he veers left missing it. :whistle:

We both appear to be heading the same way so I ride level and try to say: "Those taxis are getting a little too familiar this morning!"

...only it was very cold this morning, and my face had become a little numb. All the guy heard was "flammfphh axies mrr gtt alar tooooo farmer thus marrrni!!"

He looked at me with a look that was a mixture of fear and disgust. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Oops! Apart from that a good ride in. Have been a bit under the weather and this was the first day I've felt strong again.

Then. On the way home I'm riding down hill in primary. Reckon easily doing 25mph approaching a side road and see a woman pull up at the line. I cover the brakes just incase! She eyeballs right at me, in white lycra thermal tights (I did say it was cold) and a flouro jersey on and just pulls out only to come to a complete stop around the corner immediately. I locked both wheels and shouted "GET A MOVE ON!!!" and really thought I was going to smash into the back of her people carrier. I reckon I had less than 12 feet to stop on.

Thankfully the driver behind me kept back, otherwise I'd have been sandwiched. The woman who'd pulled out put up a hand to say sorry, the reason why she'd stopped dead? A bus was coming from the other way and pulled around a parked car, had I ridden on unhindered I'd have got past, but a mahoosive people carrier is a little tight. Poor forethought and a rushed decision by the lady driver.

Top Bottom