Strange traffic light paradox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Where DID this fantasy about signals reacting to lights come from ? For once and for all, they do not react to lights.
... er on my bikes I know that to get various temporary lights to register my presence I have to turn the lights up to full. If I do that they react to my presence, if I don't do that I give up waiting at around 5 min.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Where DID this fantasy about signals reacting to lights come from ? For once and for all, they do not react to lights. They react to movement [pole mounted detectors] or to metal mass [loops in road type]. If you are waiting for a filter arrow and it's got a loop [usually square] and you are on your own [no vehicles at all] stay ON the loop or it will ignore you and assume a random false "demand". Remember it works by induction so keep the biggest mass of metal [usually the BB & rear wheel] close to the loop [but still inside it].
One problem you may find is that a relatively little used filter will require several vehicles to be waiting before it triggers, [check how far back the loop is], this is not just a "go" at cyclists but an attempt to keep the main traffic flowing, after all you wouldn't want to be stopped six times when approaching a junction simply to let one car turn right.

Nope,none of the light I deal with now have the circuit in the road (that I know of)(had this in the past though).Neither am I waiting for a filter arrow.I was under the impression that the temporary lights reacted to car headlights and the such as the temporary ones generally reacted when I shone my lights into them,I will keep doing this as it seems to work,granted the Stratford ones didn't react to this very well as this is also a permanent pole mounted detector.I guess you were right about those awful lights..

Sorry I didn't know this but please keep your hair on.

subaqua

What’s the point
The Harrow Green lights are my least favourite lights and generally almost always catch me.So bad in fact I tend to avoid them if poss by cycling down the Leytonstone backstreets.They even used to catch me at 3am.Waiting there like a lemon.:surrender:

It's funny but due to sods law after I moved I tended to inherit this set of lights as opposed to all the sets down the Leyton High Road on my old commute.

Oh yeah,they are so bad even Mr Beemer got out of his car today to have a go at someone blocking the traffic (before he got caught on another long phase).:laugh:

there was nothing wrong with the mini RAB that used to be there. apart from most drivers in London don't know how to use a RAB of any variety.

I find it easier to go through the acacia estate on my bike and pop out by Ivory mansion.

sidevalve

Über Member
No offence taken or intended but having repaired, installed, updated, [and I'm afraid been called out at midnight to "stuck" sets of lights that were working absolutely as intended, usually by the police no less] for over 20 years I really do mean that t/l detectors, even the temp sort do not respond to lights, either flashing or not [think about it, bright sunlight would render them almost useless]. It may seem so but it's the result of having "something to do" which makes the time pass faster. I do admit the temp jobs can be a bit "iffy" however, [they are after all only a stop gap and have a hard life being bounced in and out of vans etc]. Be aware also they must allow for even a slow vehicle to clear the work section during which time they will [or should] remain at red at both ends thus extending their red time and therefore the wait.
For best results [sounds like a cookery recipe] approach sitting up in direct line of sight with the detector at about 10 - 12 mph ish or a bit more if you want. The range is limited however so don't expect it to see you from much over 30 mtrs or so.
One other thing about major sets of lights that often causes confusion is that the timings often vary dramatically during the day depending on the programming, ie morning - max time on green to get traffic into town, evening - max time to get it out.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
No offence taken or intended but having repaired, installed, updated, [and I'm afraid been called out at midnight to "stuck" sets of lights that were working absolutely as intended, usually by the police no less] for over 20 years I really do mean that t/l detectors, even the temp sort do not respond to lights, either flashing or not [think about it, bright sunlight would render them almost useless]. It may seem so but it's the result of having "something to do" which makes the time pass faster. I do admit the temp jobs can be a bit "iffy" however, [they are after all only a stop gap and have a hard life being bounced in and out of vans etc]. Be aware also they must allow for even a slow vehicle to clear the work section during which time they will [or should] remain at red at both ends thus extending their red time and therefore the wait.
For best results [sounds like a cookery recipe] approach sitting up in direct line of sight with the detector at about 10 - 12 mph ish or a bit more if you want. The range is limited however so don't expect it to see you from much over 30 mtrs or so.
One other thing about major sets of lights that often causes confusion is that the timings often vary dramatically during the day depending on the programming, ie morning - max time on green to get traffic into town, evening - max time to get it out.

No offence meant,:blush: came up against some temporary (three way) lights tonight (near Bakers Arms)of which I thought were well behaved Shone my lights at them and they changed reasonably quickly.I believe you were right about the Stratford lights although the council did actually make them better once I had complained about them.Nice to know we have a traffic light technician on board.:hello:
There are a set of ped lights near Mile End and I reckon someone has stuck bubble gum on the button or something as they change when they feel like it.Do you get a lot of that sort of trick?
Doesn't really bother me though.

there was nothing wrong with the mini RAB that used to be there. apart from most drivers in London don't know how to use a RAB of any variety.

I find it easier to go through the acacia estate on my bike and pop out by Ivory mansion.

I seem to remember falling off there on the way to work one night in the early 90's before there were any lights there or mini rab.I use the backstreet near the Fred Wigg tower anyway,now.

subaqua

What’s the point
No offence meant,:blush: came up against some temporary (three way) lights tonight (near Bakers Arms)of which I thought were well behaved Shone my lights at them and they changed reasonably quickly.I believe you were right about the Stratford lights although the council did actually make them better once I had complained about them.Nice to know we have a traffic light technician on board.:hello:
There are a set of ped lights near Mile End and I reckon someone has stuck bubble gum on the button or something as they change when they feel like it.Do you get a lot of that sort of trick?
Doesn't really bother me though.

I seem to remember falling off there on the way to work one night in the early 90's before there were any lights there or mini rab.I use the backstreet near the Fred Wigg tower anyway,now.

Montague road . thast a cracking little safe route up to the North Star. great on foot and on bike.

Top Bottom