Strava App.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Now if this is in the wrong Forum,please move.But i have a question for all of you Techies,of which i am not.

About eighteen months ago i had Strava on my Samsung Galaxy Ace s5830i.I took it off,for reasons of pride.
But now i want to put it back on.So i go onto the Google Play Shop icon on my phone.There is no STRAVA icon.loads of others,Runtastic being one.Now i have searched the www most of today,just this last twenty mins,i have found out my phone has 2.3 whatever that is,and Strava runs on 4.0 and above.Now numpty question,will i not be able to get Strava on my phone at all.
Thank you for stayting the distance and reading all this.

jnrmczip

You should be able to update your phone so that you can get it. If you don't know how then youtube updating for your specific model of phone. Hopefully this should work all depends if your phone accepts the update due to its performance. Hope this helps

In short.No.
You have Android 2.3 operating system. Strava will operate on Android 4.0 and above only. According to this Samsung won't release an update for the phone as it isn't up to it. You could try following the info in the link to update it, but, respectfully, as you didn't know what 2.3 and 4.0 meant I'd suggest you don't.
You may be able to find a high street store, one of the independent 'phone unlocking' type places that can help.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Thank you for the help.I did watch You Tube last night.I have decided not to bother,i might lose the phone,i am not technically minded enough to attempt all that.Thanks for the other suggestions.

Surlydave

Über Member
In a similar vein, I have Strava on my phone but have been unable to find out how much of my data allowance a 6+ hour bike ride would use. Emailed Strava but no joy. Any ideas?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
In a similar vein, I have Strava on my phone but have been unable to find out how much of my data allowance a 6+ hour bike ride would use. Emailed Strava but no joy. Any ideas?
Depends how you're using it. I don't want or need to look at segments, progress etc during the ride, so I do the following:

Turn on GPS and start recording the ride
Turn off mobile data (hey, I'm on my bike, don't need it)
Put phone in airplane mode (calls and messages can wait)
Stick phone in pocket, ride, stop recording at end of ride, turn everything back on again.

I've had an 8 hr ride, and still 40% battery left at the end. :okay:
And no mobile data used :okay:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Thank you for the help.I did watch You Tube last night.I have decided not to bother,i might lose the phone,i am not technically minded enough to attempt all that.Thanks for the other suggestions.
It's a shame RWGPS doesn't allow the user to upload directly to Strava (as in push a button - boom), but then again they are competing services.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
A GPX file of a bike ride is really quite small. Because it's XML, it contains a fair bit of text to describe the data which is nice for us humans, but completely unnecessary for computers. So chances are the amount of data the Strava app transmits to the server is even smaller than that. It's battery life that'll be the killer on a long ride, not the data allowance. It's things like video, and to a lesser extent music and photos, that hammer your data allowance.

If you go to settings -> data usage it will list individual usage by individual apps. Just note before/after ride amount. (Android, dunno about iPhones)

Top Bottom