Stray cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No not the band, about a week ago a young cat started to follow our cats home ,it has been hanging around permanently we have fed it but don't know anything about it, Mrs road rash has put pictures on the local Facebook page but to no avail it it took a while to gain its confidence and it is really tame but I can't help but wonder if someone somewhere is missing the little chap.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
He's here at the door now

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 17

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My colleague's cats have passed away, but she was holding off getting another due to having an extension built. In the last couple of weeks a cat has been visiting and staying in their garden, as well as coming in the house. They had the cat scanned but it's chip hadn't been registered. With a bit of detective work, they found the owner, about 20 miles away (cat must have jumped into a van).

Anyway, owner was really pleased and went over to see my colleague. She explained that she'd only recently took him on from the rescue charity, but one of her other cat's was bullying it, so was going to look for a new home. Looks like the cat did it's own looking, so the owner is letting my colleague keep the cat. They say cat's find their owners/staff. :laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We've had 3 Cats 'move in' to ours, one was a 'Odd Eyed White' that had been living in a car that was slowly being sold for parts and the other 2 are black and white one a female short hair and the other a fluffy lad (full male)
We know where the female came from and have adopted her officially but as for the lad, nobody has claimed him and it's not like we keep him in.

Handsome lad though. :wub:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
We're planning to adopt this little chap, who often sleeps on the front or back step and follows Lord Tigs about. He's been scanned by the local mad cat lady and isn't chipped. He's not keeping himself very clean, which is a classic sign of a stray.

We call him Dumpy because of his short legs.

Attachments

• 20200531_202752.jpg
    20200531_202752.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 12

MarkF

Guru
We're planning to adopt this little chap, who often sleeps on the front or back step and follows Lord Tigs about. He's been scanned by the local mad cat lady and isn't chipped. He's not keeping himself very clean, which is a classic sign of a stray.

We call him Dumpy because of his short legs.

We have 3 cats but my daughter found a few week old kitten under an Iris plant our back garden 2 years ago, you can guess what she called it. She was an ace cat and the other 3 elderly male cats took to her. She became ill last Xmas and was put down on Jan 2nd, even a transfusion couldn't save her, she was doomed to die from a feral virus, didn't even make 2 years old, we were all gutted.:sad:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Dumpy will need an FIV/FeLV blood test. If he's carrying either, he'll need to go to CP for rehoming on his own. The risk is fairly small (Tigs is vaccinated against FeLV and FIV is quite hard to transmit) but it's not worth taking.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dumpy will need an FIV/FeLV blood test. If he's carrying either, he'll need to go to CP for rehoming on his own. The risk is fairly small (Tigs is vaccinated against FeLV and FIV is quite hard to transmit) but it's not worth taking.

That was the issue when we took on Leo - full blood tests revealed Calicivirus (cat flu). His manifested in ulcers and gingivitis which we 'cured' by having all his teeth removed. That was two years ago and he's as fit as a fiddle and is the 'alpha' in a house of five cats. He's vaccinated with a non-live vaccine each year. We got the kittens vaccinated ASAP when they joined us, so we've had no issues. He's actually had no symptoms since removing his teeth.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Dumpy turns out to be in good health and only about 3 or 4 years old. He was bagged by the neighbour over two weeks ago and has been indoors here ever since. He was chipped, vaccinated, fleaed/wormed and checked over on day 1 and is in for boosters, neutering and a blood test next Monday. Apart from frequent yowling (he's got the horn - there must be a female cat on heat somewhere) it's gone well. He took to the litter tray with no mishaps, doesn't mark or scratch and gets on with Lord Tigs. He stank like a tramp when he arrived but is odourless and quite shiny now.

He may be allowed out in ten days' time. He's pretty keen on the idea.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My parents' last 4 cats had been ones that wandered onto the farm and decided to stay there. No collars or anything. Mum fed them and 3 of them ended up staying with us for up to 20 years (smudge, the oldest cat we had). Two were soft as anything and would lie in the sun wherever they wanted without a care, or sometimes in my clothes cupboard or even in the airing cupboard underneath the copper tank if it was really cold. One of them didn't tame up properly though, and spent 3 or 4 years outside, only daring to let my mum stroke her when it was getting it's food out in the shed. Sadly that one was found run over. The gorgeous Burmese Tom suddenly dissapeared one day after being with us for 5 or 6 years. We like to think he was just keen to move on and be soppy with another family, but our old vet thought that someone probably picked him up out on the lanes one day to be sold, he was a lovely cat.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Dumpy went out after 4 weeks and a lot of vet bills, and won't come back. Furry git. He was FIV/FeLV clear and is now neutered, not that that matters any more.

There are too many irresponsible cat feeders round here, so although he is wearing a collar, he is probably still being fed by one or more lonely old ladies.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I knew someone who had a long haired persian cat which just wandered in and stayed. They had a farm, complete with dogs including a ratting jack russell but the the cat simply walked in as if it owned the place and by force of personality was accepted by the dogs. They lived a fair way from the village and had no idea whose cat this had been originally

Last edited:
Top Bottom