Strengthening Quadriceps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

I think the answer may be to just keep on doing the miles, but in my limited time I built up to 120+k late last year before hiding in the gym for much of December and January. Since Feb I've been trying to get out on the bike once at the weekend, continuing with the spin bike in the gym during the week (plus usually run once a week). Anyway, after some 20-35 mile rides, during the last 3 weeks I've done a couple of 50 mile rides and a hilly 43 miles. I've noticed that my quads are suffering more than I'd expect on any kind of hill or into the wind after about 25-30 miles, depending on how hilly/windy the route is.

It may be just getting back into the cycling after a little break, but I don't recall them hurting as much last year. I am tending to be riding in a slightly higher gear this year so that may be factor. The only other difference to last year is that I had a pro bike fit last November. That has eliminated some problems I was having with my knees when going over longer distances so I'd be surprised it that's had an adverse impact. It's the only part of me that suffers (but suppose it would be!) and I have plenty of puff left. I did eat a bit more sensibly before doing 50 miles on a day-off today and took some energy drink and a gel with me that seemed to help compared to last week when I really suffered after tackling a nasty categorised hill quite early in a 40+ mile ride.

Any tips for strengthening the quads or is it a case of keep on doing the miles!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Cardiovascular ability plays a bigger part than direct quad strength.

Keep the miles up :smile:

VamP

Banned
Yep, it's cardiovasscular fitness you need to build up. But also don't neglect getting good quality rest, particularly after high intensity efforts.

Top Bottom