Stretches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaz Vickers

Which stretches are better to do before and after Cycle rides, Whether they be short or long. I try and stretch but i'm not sure if i'm stretching the correct muscles!
Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Stretch after, not before...shouldn't stretch cold muscles, warm them up by taking it easy for a few miles :smile:

Calves, quads, glutes, hamstrings I would try - plenty of info on the interweb :smile:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Stretch after, not before...shouldn't stretch cold muscles, warm them up by taking it easy for a few miles :smile:

Calves, quads, glutes, hamstrings I would try - plenty of info on the interweb :smile:
100% on the money:cheers:

--From my notes--
A gentle warmup aids the secretion of synovial fluid. This fluid if you will is like butter in the microwave. Hard until you heat it, at which point it becomes a lubricant for your joints. Going straight into a stretch is going to overwork a muscle that is cold,against a joint that has little to no protective lubricant. I'm sure you can see where that is heading.

The aims of most warm-ups are to increase your HR gradually - increase blood flow to working muscle - and really just prepare mentally.

You can warm-up passively - This is basically having a hot bath or putting on extra clothing. This doesn't target muscle groups to be used,and it wastes the hot water you'll need later :biggrin:

Or

Actively warm-up - This is a warmup which involves similar movement patterns to those of the muscle groups to be used. That could be barbell curling with an empty or very light bar or spinning a low gear on a bike - with a gradual increase of intensity and HR or weight respectively.

The aim of a post ride cool-down is to return the body to the pre-exercise state. IE: as it was before you left the house/work/garage/ wherever.

Enhances venous return (allow blood diverted to working muscle to return gradually and help prevent pooling which can cause dizziness and nausea - in extreme cases CVD) If you've got off your bike before and felt a bit woozy, chances are ^ it was this. Triathlete brick sessions is a good example of combatting the effect. A fast 40k into a 10k run isn't fun when your legs don't want to comply.

And again psychologically - feeling ready to go at it again is much better than feeling that your planned ride will be crap due to fatigue :P

Top Bottom