Stretching exercises

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi has anyone got a program of stretching exercises that benefit cyclists

If you've got £9 a month to burn the dynamic cycling app is actually quite good.

Sure you could find a set of stretches on you tube. But that quickly gets very boring.

You get a whole program on the dynamic cyclist app - and many different programs to choose from.

You get a free 7 day trial when you join.

Got a garmin watch? Garmin connect app has a lot of exercise routines on it including yoga and pilates for cyclists. You don't need the watch but if you do you can send it to the watch and get the watch to time you on each exercise plus show you what's next. They're actually good too.

MikeG

Guru
Sorry to be negative, but there is no evidence to support stretching. No-one has been able to show that it does any good........and I speak as a retired pro-sportsman who stretched every day for my entire 20 year career, and onwards for years after that. Warming up before activity is entirely beneficial, but stretching......no.

Darryn007

Über Member
Try these stretches: quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, hip flexors, and IT band. I do them before and after rides, holding each for about 30 seconds.

Milzy

Guru
Sorry to be negative, but there is no evidence to support stretching. No-one has been able to show that it does any good........and I speak as a retired pro-sportsman who stretched every day for my entire 20 year career, and onwards for years after that. Warming up before activity is entirely beneficial, but stretching......no.

Sitting on a racing bike for hours on end isn’t good for your biomechanics. Some people are in an aggressive aero position and others more relaxed but you will carry on gradually losing your range of motion. I hate stretching but if I do bother it feels better. If you walk sideways with a rubber excercise band from left to right it will start to activate your glutes pre ride which can give you an extra watt.

MikeG

Guru
There is no evidence supporting stretching as a way of retaining your range of motion. There is lots of evidence that stretching leads to increased rates of injury. Many teams and individuals in pro sport have stopped stretching altogether. My old teams have. I know, it's counter-intuitive, and it's not what I did through my career, but stretching, particularly before exercise, appears to be one of those things that everyone thinks works but in fact doesn't.

What you are describing isn't stretching, but resistance exercise.

Milzy

Guru
There is no evidence supporting stretching as a way of retaining your range of motion. There is lots of evidence that stretching leads to increased rates of injury. Many teams and individuals in pro sport have stopped stretching altogether. My old teams have. I know, it's counter-intuitive, and it's not what I did through my career, but stretching, particularly before exercise, appears to be one of those things that everyone thinks works but in fact doesn't.

What you are describing isn't stretching, but resistance exercise.

I believe it’s far better post exercise. Also a bit of cardio warm up pre race helps to get you comfortable at higher intensity faster. But if you want to be flexible for martial arts, gymnastics or Yoga etc then stretch. If you’re going on a steady 30 mile ride it’s more of a waste of time. Screw stretching! Down with stretching.

Top Bottom