Strict liabiliy campaign group in England??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
http://www.roadshare.co.uk/

I'm aware there is one in scotland, but unsure if it extends to england. Is there a group in england campaigning for this ?
Mark Beaumont lending his support for the campaign

Davidc

Guru
If you want to influence driver behaviour, the presumption that they are at fault in any collision with a cyclist unless they can prove otherwise has been demonstrated to be an extremely effective tool.

The argument against it, of course, is that you'll get chavs deliberately colliding with cars to get compensation, but these days it's pretty trivial to install camcorders in cars that come on with the ignition and automatically (or at the press of a button) save the footage leading up to a collision.

Strict liability is plain stupid and would never be adopted. Anywhere.

Presumed liability (which is what you describe) is however sensible, used elsewhere in Europe, and might just get accepted. Apart from by certain newspapers of course. It would take a huge shift in popular opinion in the UK though. If there's to be any hope of a change in the law over liability it needs to be more general, not treating cyclists as a special case. Pedestrians need protection from bad driving too, possibly more so than cyclists. So do motorcyclists. Addressing this issue for all vulnerable road users would greatly increase the potential support base for change.

classic33

Leg End Member
Strict liability is plain stupid and would never be adopted. Anywhere.

Presumed liability (which is what you describe) is however sensible, used elsewhere in Europe, and might just get accepted. Apart from by certain newspapers of course. It would take a huge shift in popular opinion in the UK though. If there's to be any hope of a change in the law over liability it needs to be more general, not treating cyclists as a special case. Pedestrians need protection from bad driving too, possibly more so than cyclists. So do motorcyclists. Addressing this issue for all vulnerable road users would greatly increase the potential support base for change.
See post number 5.

Davidc

Guru
See post number 5.
I did, but it's the minority one. Motor vehicles on pedestrians is the big one, and probably the one to garner public support with.

Presumed liability has had a strong positive impact on road safety elsewhere and I'd certainly like to see it brought in here.

If it ever arrives I'm buying shares in companies selling cameras for cycle and dash mounting!

classic33

Leg End Member
I did, but it's the minority one. Motor vehicles on pedestrians is the big one, and probably the one to garner public support with.

Presumed liability has had a strong positive impact on road safety elsewhere and I'd certainly like to see it brought in here.

If it ever arrives I'm buying shares in companies selling cameras for cycle and dash mounting!
They're pushing both parts, not just the motorist & cyclist.

Top Bottom