Stronglight Dural Chainrings...any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think i've had them on my old and new bianchi as the originals wore out. Price looks ok, i paid a bit more at my LBS. Current ones on my 10 speed have done around 2000 miles, no wear issues to speak of.

The only thing i found (and i might be imagining a problem that doesn't exist) is there are no specific alignment marks when mounting them (AFAICR)...i do struggle a tad to get mine to shift onto the big ring...you can't tell whether there are any ramping points to aid shifting...or perhaps it's just me.

Is this for a double Maz, not a triple?

I've got two Stronlights on mine, absolutely fine. Check out Spa cycles as well for a good range and good prices.

Edit: Same one

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Is this for a double Maz, not a triple?

I've got two Stronlights on mine, absolutely fine. Check out Spa cycles as well for a good range and good prices.
Yes, for a double, Crackle. Compact, actually.

'Alignment marks', gbb? I'm not sure what you mean. Don't chainrings fit on any which way?
I have no experience of replacing chainrings, so you're probably right.

gbb

Legendary Member
Yes, for a double, Crackle. Compact, actually.

'Alignment marks', gbb? I'm not sure what you mean. Don't chainrings fit on any which way?
I have no experience of replacing chainrings, so you're probably right.

No, it's ok, it's me :laugh: I've been thinking too much and not actually looking.
Had this problem lately with overshifting on the big ring. On my original FSA big ring, there's a pin to catch the chain if it jumps off. There's no pin on the Stronglight.
There's ramping aids (specific machining on your cassette) to aid shifting. I did wonder if i'd missed something when fitting the chainrings..perhaps there was a specific orientation when fitting chainrings ?. Just looked at the original small ring...and there's not. So i was thinking too much :blush: .
Going to have a play with my FD, see if that solves it.

While i've got the bike with me today, just looked at the Stronglight chainrings i fitted circa 2000 + miles ago...no noticeable wear.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not sure on doubles/compacts, but triples certainly have ramps to aid shifting and a pin to stop the chain getting jammed if it comes off.

There are little ^ marks on each ring which have to line up with other, and the pin is aligned with the crank of course.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The last Stronglight chainrings I got had the pin loose (in a bag stapled to the packet), and a choice of 2 holes to screw it into.
Some 5-arm cranks have a bolt directly opposite the crank, and some have one on the back of the crank itself.

The Dural chainrings are OK, but won't last as long as the more expensive Zicral or TA chainrings.
I use them because they are cheap, and I run my whole transmission until it's dead rather than buy a new chain every couple of months.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
If I make sure I get a 50T 110BCD chainring...does it matter about the chain speed (specified in the description)? My bike is a 9spd.

Some 50t/110bcd chainrings specify chainspeed, others don't. I'm a bit confused by that.

Can anyone help?

PpPete

Legendary Member
For a 9 speed drive train / 9 speed chain, you can use any chainrings that say 9 or 10 speed.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
One more thing...

Is it worth getting a chainring bolt spanner, or can you get away with a flat-blade screwdriver?

gbb

Legendary Member
One more thing...

Is it worth getting a chainring bolt spanner, or can you get away with a flat-blade screwdriver?

They're quite cheap IIRC, but especially on newer bikes, they often just undo with the allen key. Ioften just push my thumb on the backnut and work with the allenkey, same when tightening. A broad screwdriver is almost as good as the proper tool if they're difficult to undo.

Top Bottom