Struggling to get used to SPD SLs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
Upgraded to SPD SL pedals and cleats at the weekend from standard two bolt SPDs.

I've used standard SPDs for years and have no problem cleating and uncleating whatsoever.

The tension in the new SLs are at the lowest setting, which means the shoe moves quite a bit in the pedal so nowhere near optimum contact but even so, i'm finding it very tricky uncleating.

Do SLs take a bit more getting used to, or are they intentionally more dificult to release?

I've not had a clipless moment yet, but i fear one is not far off!

raindog

er.....
I find them slightly harder to get out of too - sometimes need a second, harder jab to unclip, which in normal circs is OK, but in an emergency probably wouldn't be very funny. I've tried smearing a thin layer of grease on the contact area of the cleat, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Hi there
When unclipping make sure the pedal to be unclipped is at the top of its stroke, dip your heel and then twist to release.

You need to push down on your heel to get your toes to lift out of the pedal, which is hard if the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke.

There's a really good video on youtube, can't remember title but have a little search under unclipping from cleats

OP
OP
Paul_L

Paul_L

Über Member
thanks for that.

My standard SPDs i uncleat at the 6 o'clock point of the stroke, so i'll need to concentrate on doing it at he top of the stroke until it becomes second nature.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
thanks for that.

My standard SPDs i uncleat at the 6 o'clock point of the stroke, so i'll need to concentrate on doing it at he top of the stroke until it becomes second nature.

80% of the time (random number) I clip out at bottom of the pedal stroke. Clipping out at the top is not an requirement, it's all about twisting with your heel.

Keith Oates

Janner
I use the 105's on the TCR and find them very good and comfortable when pedaling as there is a bigger platform to press down on. I do need to give a good firm twist to get out but don't find it an excessively tight operation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom