stuck brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearPear

Veteran
I am still a newbie to cycling and although the actual riding is OK, I have few practical skills and rely on hubby for help, and also the LBS.

I decided to have another go at taking off the front wheel (quick release) this morning before hubby went to work so he could supervise me. I have ladies Trek 7.2 and the wheel isn't easy to remove, and even harder to get back on - lots of, fiddling about opening the quick-release toggle things, all the while taking the weight of the rest of the bike!

Anyway, we got the wheel back on but the front brake isn't working, only one side is moving when the lever is squeezed and the side which doesn't move is touching the rim and causing friction. The cable has been properly seated back in the mechanism, or at least it looks to be. What should I be doing to rectify this?

Thanks in advance.

By the way, it is a fabulous day here - perfect for a bike ride!

BigSteev

BearPear said:
I have ladies Trek 7.2 and the wheel isn't easy to remove, and even harder to get back on - lots of, fiddling about opening the quick-release toggle things, all the while taking the weight of the rest of the bike!

This sounds like you're removing the wheel with the bike the right way up. Much easier to 1) release the brake cable bit so that the pads are away from the rim then, 2) stand the bike upside down on the seat and handlebars. This will then allow you to easily undo and remove the wheel. To replace simply reverse the procedure.

As to the brake centering, firstly double check that the wheel is centered, the axle should be seated fully in the drop outs. Then check that the cable has been connected up correctly and that the noodle (the curved tube bit) is sitting fully into the brake. If there is still a problem you may need to adjust the springs behind the brake arms. I normally find that unattaching the one on the side that's rubbing against the rim and bending it slightly outwards before reattaching it does the trick.

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
Ta daaa!

I did it! Took the advice from Steve & inverted the bike, removed the wheel again, re-attached it, making sure it was centered. Flipped the bike, sorted the brake and hey presto it's fixed!

Thanks

potsy

Rambler
BearPear said:
Ta daaa!

I did it! Took the advice from Steve & inverted the bike, removed the wheel again, re-attached it, making sure it was centered. Flipped the bike, sorted the brake and hey presto it's fixed!

Thanks
Sounds like you're ready for a job at Halfords now BP:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You up turned the bike.....argh.........NEVER EVER......:blush:

TBH - It worked for you - not something I'd do - easiest way of 'cosmetically' wrecking expensive saddles and handlebar stems..... depends on the bike....:biggrin: and I'm a bike snob...(ish) ;)

Well done - most likely the wheel not seated right - I'd practice it, on many modern bikes - they all have the stupid 'lawyer tab'...... FFS ..... undo QR..... wheel won't drop out until the QR or nut is swivelled - what's Quick Release about that.......grrrrrrrrrr.

Fortunately, all my road bikes are real Quick Release - undo lever, wheel falls out. :thumbsup:

02GF74

Über Member
fossyant said:
TBH - It worked for you - not something I'd do - easiest way of 'cosmetically' wrecking expensive saddles and handlebar stems..... depends on the bike....:ohmy: and I'm a bike snob...(ish) :biggrin:

or do it on the grass in the garden, esle put an old towel on the ground first.

Top Bottom