Studded Tyres (Marathon Winter) - Wide or Narrow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
Not another studded tyres thread:rolleyes:

I've used Schwalbe Marathon Winters (700x35mm) on my Pompino for a few years. And rate them well for most roads, with the exceptions that they are no good for deep snow (obviously) and can't handle 'icy ruts' left by cars very that can't ride in a straight line, very well.

So I want to get a pair for my Disc Trucker (26 inch wheels).

The question is how wide, 26x1.75 or 26x2.0 ?
I'm guessing the 2.0 will handle the ruts better. With a little less pressure in the front tyre.

Any thoughts? Or has something better come out since?

BSRU

A Human Being
Not another studded tyres thread:rolleyes:

I've used Schwalbe Marathon Winters (700x35mm) on my Pompino for a few years. And rate them well for most roads, with the exceptions that they are no good for deep snow (obviously) and can't handle 'icy ruts' left by cars very that can't ride in a straight line, very well.

So I want to get a pair for my Disc Trucker (26 inch wheels).

The question is how wide, 26x1.75 or 26x2.0 ?
I'm guessing the 2.0 will handle the ruts better. With a little less pressure in the front tyre.

Any thoughts? Or has something better come out since?
I have some Schwalbe Ice Spikers for my MTB, apparently they are 26 x 2.1 and look like motorbike tyres(compared to my normal 28mm tyres).

Bodhbh

Guru
I've used both 2.0 Winters and the 2.1 Ice Spikers. They do what it sez on the tin - if the snow settles and/or is rutted the Spikers are much better. It's difficult, because most of the time the Spikers are overkill, but the Winters *will* start to loose traction in snow (they are fine for ice and a thin layer of snow). Guess it depends what you think you'll have to put up with. A compromise I found was sticking a Spiker on the front and a Winter on the back, but when it gets bad, you'll wish you had 2 Spikers.

How long before someone comes along and says both are a fancy modern indulgence and they never bothered in my day, rode on frozen lakes we did.

OP
OP
buddha

buddha

Veteran
I foresee me spending more than anticipated :whistle:.
Mind, going by the lack of wear on my existing Marathon Winters, they last quite a few years. So worthwhile investment.
There, I've convinced myself.

Top Bottom