Stuff Sacks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
More often than not I the leave panniers on bike, and take things out of them as needed.

Keeps everything drier if it's raining.
I fail to understand this.

If it's raining, and the panniers are on the bike, anything you take out of the pannier (or put back in the morning) gets rained on between the bike and the tent, and also rain can get into open panniers when you are getting it out.

If you bring the panniers into the tent porch, and get stuff out under shelter, everything stays dry.
It's hardly like unhooking modern panniers is difficult.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I fail to understand this.

If it's raining, and the panniers are on the bike, anything you take out of the pannier (or put back in the morning) gets rained on between the bike and the tent, and also rain can get into open panniers when you are getting it out.

If you bring the panniers into the tent porch, and get stuff out under shelter, everything stays dry.
It's hardly like unhooking modern panniers is difficult.

Well it works for me.

My front panniers are pretty difficult to unhook anyhow. I may replace them soon - they've done over 25 yrs service.
And they carry the stuff which is less crucial to keep dry.

Stove set, plastic wrapped food, outerwear and so forth.

I could unhook my rear ones, but then I've got wet panniers cluttering up my shelter porch, where I want to cook. .

- I have a fairly small but very lightweight tarp tent - just big enough for me and my things.. But not much else.

If needs be, I can stick my dry bag containing sleeping bag or whatever, up my wp coat as I transfer it.

I've not had much of a problem with things getting wet yet.

While on subject of dry bags.. They also make a good pillow, stuffed with softest spare clothes, and then a buff sleeved over the top as a pillowcase.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I’m with @mudsticks on this. I have always left my panniers on. Until recently, my tents and hammock haven’t been large enough and I like the drive train to be protected. As well as the bike leant against fences and buildings.

Back to stuff sacks: In my yoof I used net kindling bags to separate and organise my stuff. The air gets squeezed out and you can compact it all really small. I did remember that the orange netting (like yellow glasses) makes everything flat and mono colour and you can’t tell what’s what.

I hate not knowing if I’m wearing my purple jocks or my lucky green ones.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I’m with @mudsticks on this. I have always left my panniers on. Until recently, my tents and hammock haven’t been large enough and I like the drive train to be protected. As well as the bike leant against fences and buildings.

Back to stuff sacks: In my yoof I used net kindling bags to separate and organise my stuff. The air gets squeezed out and you can compact it all really small. I did remember that the orange netting (like yellow glasses) makes everything flat and mono colour and you can’t tell what’s what.

I hate not knowing if I’m wearing my purple jocks or my lucky green ones.

I can't bear not knowing what colour your pants are either Chas :whistle:

Multicoloured stuff sacks, as well as pants are the way to go - these kids who charge about all dressed in black, look pretty cool, but it must be a nightmare finding stuff in the morning.

I am thinking about overhauling my whole packing sytem, for longer, and more off road type trips.

But probs stick with the front / back panniers arrangement, if it's just a weekend and mostly on road.

It's so easy just chucking stuff into them.

I could however probs go lighter again in the more bike-packing stylee, for longer trips.

But would all those fiddly strap-ons drive me nuts?? :blink:

And is this all just trying to excuse more shopping ??

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I can't bear not knowing what colour your pants are either Chas :whistle:

Multicoloured stuff sacks, as well as pants are the way to go - these kids who charge about all dressed in black, look pretty cool, but it must be a nightmare finding stuff in the morning.

I am thinking about overhauling my whole packing sytem, for longer, and more off road type trips.

But probs stick with the front / back panniers arrangement, if it's just a weekend and mostly on road.

It's so easy just chucking stuff into them.

I could however probs go lighter again in the more bike-packing stylee, for longer trips.

But would all those fiddly strap-ons drive me nuts?? :blink:

And is this all just trying to excuse more shopping ??

I go light and modern for long weekend trips. But for convenience, nothing beats panniers. Ask @Cranky Knee Girl and her hubby: They did a brilliant ‘bike packing’ tour with panniers. Even though I own them and like them, bike packing kit is over rated for anything other than racing the Tour Divide or TCN etc.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I go light and modern for long weekend trips. But for convenience, nothing beats panniers. Ask @Cranky Knee Girl and her hubby: They did a brilliant ‘bike packing’ tour with panniers. Even though I own them and like them, bike packing kit is over rated for anything other than racing the Tour Divide or TCN etc.

Yes, well maybe I'll stick as I am then.
The last thing I need, is anyone mistaking me for someone wanting a race :bicycle::bicycle:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yes, well maybe I'll stick as I am then.
The last thing I need, is anyone mistaking me for someone wanting a race :bicycle::bicycle:

^_^They do look cool though. Worked well on a 500km+ audax I did in the summer. But only because I wasn't accessing the saddle pack constantly. By design they aren’t as convenient as panniers or Carradice bags. You also have to lean the bike against it's frame or mechanical bits rather than the luggage.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
^_^They do look cool though. Worked well on a 500km+ audax I did in the summer. But only because I wasn't accessing the saddle pack constantly. By design they aren’t as convenient as panniers or Carradice bags. You also have to lean the bike against it's frame or mechanical bits rather than the luggage.

Tbh I think I got my head turned a bit, when someone admired my 'rig' :rolleyes:

And my thoughts turned to frame bags.. :whistle:

Yes the roomy pannier into which you can just chuck stuff has much appeal.
I admire people who can systematically pack down to the last millimetre, but I'm long enough in the tooth, to know I'm not one of them.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm even considering getting a funky kickstand.. As I don't always camp near fences, buildings or trees, for that convenient packing lean. .

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
...Don't tell anyone, but I'm even considering getting a funky kickstand.. As I don't always camp near fences, buildings or trees, for that convenient packing lean. .

I have a KlickStand (?) which costs the same as a decent stand and doesn’t damage the bike. I also use it to hold up my camp washing line. Best thing ever. I take it everywhere.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Was a bit worried seeing @Heltor Chasca had linked me (via an alert) for a post about pants colour, after a couple of weeks away from the boards. :blink:

We can't work out how you bike pack unless either credit card touring or perhaps basic bivvying. We're not fast enough or young enough (need a self inflating mat) Everything in 10p bags for life too inside Ortleibs, to keep dry, sorted and dry. MSR 3 person tent as panniers come inside as soon as tent is up. We're nearly always in rainy or midgy situations, with sparse resupply.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Was a bit worried seeing @Heltor Chasca had linked me (via an alert) for a post about pants colour, after a couple of weeks away from the boards. :blink:

We can't work out how you bike pack unless either credit card touring or perhaps basic bivvying. We're not fast enough or young enough (need a self inflating mat) Everything in 10p bags for life too inside Ortleibs, to keep dry, sorted and dry. MSR 3 person tent as panniers come inside as soon as tent is up. We're nearly always in rainy or midgy situations, with sparse resupply.

Rest assured the colour of your knickers is not a hot topic for conversation here.
( well not to my knowledge anyhow :shy:)

Some of us let them blow breezily in the wind on wash days - others are a little more modest with their smalls :rolleyes:

+1 for the inflating mat though - wide, and long, and deep and comfy neo-air for me -- even though it weighs nearly a kilo i still take it on otherwise lightweight backpacking trips - no sleep means v gwumpy next day.

C
But cos i only bike tour / bikepack by myself my tent can be much lighter at just over a kilo.

I think its all that strapping and unstrapping that would do my head in - esp as i'm pretty hopeless at remembering where all the things go.

I might try an approximation of it (Bikepacking) on an overnighter, afore long just to see, but there's definitely something to said for having relatively large, and waterproof panniers to just chuck stuff in - the trick is not to take too many things just because you've got the room.

So you leave lots of space for food foraged along the way. :whistle:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm not proud, I tour pretty lightweight, I take 2 pairs of black pants as 95% of the time on tour I'm not wearing any :laugh: Our tent is 2kg but split between 2 of us, the only thing (other than Ortleibs) that we have spent serious money on for good quality/lightweight. Our (just rear even for 2 weeks camping)) panniers are not fully stuffed, except after a large shop for 24 hrs+ they are rolled down to rack level and just tent strapped on top of rack.

I don't want to ignite a war over the storage of panniers, but I was very glad they were in my vestibule last night.
Big storm, flooding and I woke up to what I call the "waterbed experience".
Thankfully, I was able to bail, getting my sleeping bag & clothes into the pannier completely dry. Had they been left on the bike I'd have been wading through a little stream to get them. Grabbing the bag & clothes & running for cover in the rain wouldn't have worked either.

Top Bottom