Stupid flies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
We woke up to flies, 5-10 in every room, don't know where they've come from, the cats bowls are clean and there is no food openly around, well 3 bananas.

But they are really stupid, once they land you can approach, reach out and squish them, just like that, I wish they were always so easily dispatched. What's going on?

colly

Re member eR
Be afraid Mark. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes I got one on the back door glass that was so sluggish it was easy to squish. Normally they are off as soon as the rolled up newspaper approaches!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I've used one of these for years - quick, effective and great fun:

5511_image1_flygun_swat_large.jpg

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Last year I found my bathroom swarming in huge bluebottles when I got in from work. I then spent 4 days fly-spraying and then hoovering up the hordes that would appear during the day - eventually realised they must have been coming up the inside of the building and out of a gap around a pipe in my bathroom. Something must have died between the walls somewhere in my block of flats....

A good extended spraying of Raid into the gap around the pipe and the problem finally went away.

ASC1951

Guru
... Normally they are off as soon as the rolled up newspaper approaches!
ASC's top tip - use a wire sieve. It has a large impact area but minimal wind resistance, so they are not alerted. I have a separate plastic sieve for cooking because, well, the wires are difficult to clean.

Gromit

Über Member
Newly hatched flies are like that. It is nothing to do with warmth. We use flies at Stockbridge to help pollinate some of the crops.

Top Bottom