Stupid newbie question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

argonaut

I have bought a GT Avalanche frame with a 'zero stack head'. Now I was wondering which headset I need for this frame? and any recommendations to the best one to buy.

Apologies for the question. I am pretty new to this 'new' technology after being out of the saddle for so long.

Thanks in advance.

Helo argonaut - try asking your question in 'Know How' as there are plenty of knowledgeable folk within...It seems a bit of a strange thing that the manufacturers don't specify headsets which, if I understand correctly, drop into the head tube to add strength and reduce distortion of the frame...:biggrin:
I would try and discover answers by trying something like this
And then I would look somewhere like this...

Mortiroloboy

I read head set as the top and bottom ball races on the head tube, pop into your LBS Local Bike Shop (Not Hellfrauds) and get some advice, build a good relationship with your LBS it will pay dividends.:biggrin:

Oh and welcome to the darkside! although if you are riding a mountain bike...you be a heretic...Heretic Burn him!!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Might be a good idea to source the forks through the bike shop as well - then that bit will be complete, and correct. No idea on the headset, and I don't have suspension forks, so don't know what's best.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Isn't it just the same as an internal headset? ie. the headtube is oversize so that the bearings fit inside it (rather than in cups that stick out at the top and bottom), so all you need is any headset that specifies zero stack or internal. I think they are sometimes also called "low profile" or "integrated".

OP
OP
A

argonaut

Thanks people.
I've been trawling the net and found that there are 3 sizes of zero stack headset. So when I get to work tomorrow(car on back of AA truck this morning :biggrin:) I will have a measure for the diameter of head stock. I think it's 44mm though.

I'll try and make my next post stand out a bit. 'Grumpy old man seeks advice' something like that. Or, 'wearing mini skirts on MTB's'.

Cheers.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
right. its nothing too complicated. just remember the principles are the same. its just the headset is mostly inside the frame. but NOT fully integrated like some roadbikes. ITs not zero stack completely, and has got some stack height.
Lots of names for them!! so not all the headsets you could use will be called 'zero stack'
Truly Brilliant explanation of all things headset here
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68#zero

Price for one?
anything from a tenner upwards. FSA, ritchey and Hope make them, and they will be good ones. steer (sic) clear of no-name headsets, they're always cheap and don't last

OP
OP
A

argonaut

Thanks people I'm going to do some more trawling.
The head is 44mm so it looks like the one I need.

By the way,is this site full of nutters? :-)

Top Bottom