Sturmey 3 speed hub/ drum brake rumbling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
On my Elephant bike: X-RD3. The rear wheel on the example I bought several years ago seemed pretty well-used when I got it and in the last few days the hub has become very noisy, a continuous rumble while pedaling- in all gears. Happened just like that- no gradual onset, was riding over to the pet shop and it was nice, then it started rumbling and it has rumbled since. While coasting everything sweet. No problems with shifting or evidence of adjustment issues (neutrals or jumping out of gear)- just noise rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Any ideas? I'm half thinking of getting a whole new rear wheel- I had the front done with a dynohub recently- but if the rumbling might be tweakable in the short term I'm interested.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The usual weak point on modern SA hubs is the "pawl plate", which trips out the set of pawls in the driver.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I went to have a go at the indicator chain tip and noticed the chain had unshipped from the jockey wheel on the tensioner and was running off to one side :blush: admittedly it was dark the last couple of times I've used it.

Top Bottom