Sturmey Archer advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Hiya , Today I saw a Sturmey Archer 3 speed fitted with two sprockets , giving 6 speeds , has any one got any knowledge of these ? I did see one on another site but I'd say it was some form of conversation with an old looking shimano rear deraileur ,
It had 40 spoke holes ,
Would be a nice unit for my '28 frame , not that it would be original but would not look out of place , and help the old pins get over the hills !!

classic33

Leg End Member
Cyclo used to make a triple for SA Hubs. Fitted to a five speed would give 15.

classic33

Leg End Member
Something like this?
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/hybrid-hd.html
gillott-spear-rb4.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
If you want period correct, you'd need to track down an old school cyclo mech. If you have a hub with a splined driver, two dished sprockets sit back to back. If you have a threaed driver, you would also need to track down the correct cyclo 2 or 3 speed block.

If you are happy to use modern parts - I've done it using two Shimano sprockets and a 1980ish Huret derailleur - https://theoldbikeshome.wordpress.com/2015/07/06/hybrid-gearing/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's how Brompton 6 speeds work. It wasn't a Brompton component was it?

Edit. No it wasn't because they don't have that number of spokes.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Hi , to be honest a lot of the tech stuff goes over the head , the SA I saw was in fairly poor but recoverable condition, it had two cogs and would fit the drop outs on my Vintage frame , period specific parts are not essential , but it seems , and I agree that I needs to look period , so I do not want to increase the dropout width , what , approx would be the cost to have this unit restored , it wasn't seized , but had been neglected for a long time Id say ,

tyred

Legendary Member
These hubs usually survive pretty well and are easy to overhaul. Most just need cleaned out and re-assembled with fresh lube and correct bearing adjustment. You'd probably find a Youtube video showing how to do it or it shouldn't be very hard to find someone to do it for you if you don't feel confident.

The sprockets are for 1/8" chain so ideally you need something like an old Cyclo-Benelux - but they can be pricey nowadays and don't actually work that well. The shifter they need is also specific to them. Some 1970s derailleurs may be just about wide enough to cope with the wider chain but if not, dismantle it and fit spacing washers each side of the jockey wheels. Basic Shimano ones robbed of an old cheapo MTB from a skip would be perfect as they have the hanger built in but may not look very classy. Any friction shifter would work fine.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most just need cleaned out and re-assembled with fresh lube and correct bearing adjustment.
Often not even that: flush with WD40, then flush again with gear oil, adjust the bearings and indicator and an AW hub may return to working order. Mine did, although it mostly worked before.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I saw this conversation on a website

image.jpg
image.jpg

But now I think the derailleur would spoil the the look of what I am trying to achieve , the wheel below is an 8 speed job from USA
about £200 , there is a shop in Southfield's nr Wimbledon that may be able to get them ,
image.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
The 8 speed hub is probably too wide for your drop outs and unless they've changed the spec, the direct drive is bottom gear so you'd need a tiny chainring or end up with time trial gearing. It's really aimed at small wheelers.

A Shimano Alfine 8 or a Sturmey 5 speed would be a better choice for a large wheeled bike if you feel 3 isn't enough (imo). The SA 5 speed should fit your dropouts too (old ones at least), the Shimano hub won won't without modifying things.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I've read some negatives about SA , but to be fair the reports were from around 2010-11 , the original 3 speeds no probs , but the 5-8 speeds problematic , anyone have any up to date reports ?

Top Bottom