Sturmey Archer Freewheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Basil.B

Guru
Got to replace my Shimano freewheel on my singlespeed bike.
Was thinking of splashing out on a White Industries freewheel.
But now thinking of getting a Sturmey Archer as they are a lot cheaper.
Which one would be best?

midlife

Guru
Didn't Sturmey sell a lot of their tools to "Sunrace"?

Shaun

I recently ordered one. So time will tell. I've read that they are half decent, in relative terms to the price anyways. White ind. ones will be much better, but I personally couldn't justify the price, unless I had the money to throw at it.

Last edited:

GGJ

Veteran
I've been using the Shimano MX30 that came with my bike, it done 2000 miles during the winter and is good for the same again this winter. Every 700-800 miles I remove the freewheel then loosen but not remove the front cover then give the entire assembly a good swirl around in a tub of turps, then I blow it dry with compressed air and drop it into a bath of SAE-30W engine oil and make sure the oil goes into everything. It is then removed from the oil and the excess allowed to drain before tightening the front cover and refitting to the hub. It is smoother now than the day it was made.

Also keep an eye on ebay for vintage Made in England freewheels, the quality of them are far superior to modern items.

Just had a quick look on ebay and there are also some nice vintage Italian freewheels, but they are pricey

OP
OP
Basil.B

Basil.B

Guru
I've been using the Shimano MX30 that came with my bike, it done 2000 miles during the winter and is good for the same again this winter. Every 700-800 miles I remove the freewheel then loosen but not remove the front cover then give the entire assembly a good swirl around in a tub of turps, then I blow it dry with compressed air and drop it into a bath of SAE-30W engine oil and make sure the oil goes into everything. It is then removed from the oil and the excess allowed to drain before tightening the front cover and refitting to the hub. It is smoother now than the day it was made.

Also keep an eye on ebay for vintage Made in England freewheels, the quality of them are far superior to modern items.

Just had a quick look on ebay and there are also some nice vintage Italian freewheels, but they are pricey
Will have a look, ta.

windym

I used the Sturmey freewheel as a stop gap and would not recommend it, heavy with a fair bit of play and it jumps every now and then. In fact it irritated me and put me off riding until I had the White Industry back on and noticed the difference immediately. Smooth crisp take up with a reassuring tight feel to it, spend the extra money and enjoy riding.

Andy

midlife

Guru
Having never bought a single freewheel since the mid 70's I was a bit shocked to see that they can go for 50-60 quid !! Blimey :sad:
Being completely taken aback I had a search around and noted that the Dicta seemed to be pretty reliable......

I'm not a Fixie / single speed person but do the manufacturers take advantage and put the price of this stuff quite high ?

Shaun, born in the 50's

GGJ

Veteran
I paid £2.50 for this one at a local bike jumble, it has obviously been fitted to an axle and the wrong tooling used to remove it, but looks to be almost unused and the ratcheting mechanism sounds fantastic. From what I have found it probably dates from the 40s-60s and will go on my S/S whem the Shimano dies

P1050837.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
I paid £2.50 for this one at a local bike jumble, it has obviously been fitted to an axle and the wrong tooling used to remove it, but looks to be almost unused and the ratcheting mechanism sounds fantastic. From what I have found it probably dates from the 40s-60s and will go on my S/S whem the Shimano dies

P1050837.jpg

Quality :smile: They don't build them like that any more unfortunately.

Reactions: GGJ

RedRider

Pulling through
The Halo Clickster's a decent compromise between price and quality at 30-odd quid, I think it engages even quicker than the White Industries and makes a fine noise when freewheeling.
In my experience it's a definite step-up from Shimano freewheels I've used which have been pretty rumbly from the get go.
I do prefer the White Industries tho. It's not designed to be throwaway so as you'd expect it feels solid and well-engineered. It's as smooth as ever after around 5,000 miles.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Call me shallow but I much prefer the sound of a White Industries Freewheel freewheeling at high speed to almost any other bike related sound.

Top Bottom