Sturmey Archer hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crossy

Hi I'm new to forum. 1st question of many. I'm looking to make up a new bike and thinking of getting Sturmey Archer 8 speed hub brake and dynamo hub brake front. I've read a lot of forums seen a lot about Rohloff, Shimano, Sram but nothing about Sturmey. Also thinking of a custom frame who would you recommend?

Wocce Racer

Custom frame from Roberts in Croydon.

ASC1951

Guru
Custom Ti frame from XACD of China.

Actually hardly anyone needs a custom frame. You can get a stock frame to suit you, whatever your requirements. That's why stems, bars etc come in different sizes.

P.H

Über Member
The SA 8spd has only been around a few years and I read about an even newer version last year, I'm not even sure it's available yet. It's hardly surprising we haven't heard much about it, given how rare hub geared bikes are (Though becoming less so) The SRAM 9 has a few fans, it'd be my choice at that price point. You could ask this over on the CTC forum where I know there's a few who use the SRAM.
I wouldn't invest in a custom frame till I was sure of the gear/brake combination was right for me. I supect the price of a custom frame and cheap hub is't going to be that different to the price of a Rohloff in an off the peg frame, I know which I'd choose.

buddha

Veteran
I've had a SA XRF-5 for about four years, as a alternative wheel for my single-speed / fixie . Overall I'd say the quality is pretty good (if you maintain the shifter every few weeks) and don't put the wrong oil in the hub :tongue:;). With hindsight it's best to let your LBS service it.

My only gripe is that shifting (twistgrip in my case) isn't as slick as I'd like - compared to my normal geared bikes. So you loose a bit of momentum when changing down. Which is why I've kept the bike as a single-speed this winter.
The other 'issue' is with the range of gears. I'd have preferred a closer range. Although with an 8 speed this may be better.

edit: BTW the hub+shifter inc cables etc only cost me £50 on ebay - brand new.

Wocce Racer

ASC1951 said:
Custom Ti frame from XACD of China.

Actually hardly anyone needs a custom frame. You can get a stock frame to suit you, whatever your requirements. That's why stems, bars etc come in different sizes.

Wrong. A a stock frame with just the stem changed will not give you the correct angles on the frame or handle correctly unless you are very lucky. If you have longer leges legs; short or long upper body; if you are heavy or very light, a custom built frame built to your person measurements makes all the difference. A frame builder who knows his craft will put together a frameset that will last you for the rest of your life.

The trouble these days is most people, other than the discerning rider, will impulse buy. If you are really serious you have to make sure that the frame is the correct one for you. A good dealer will measure you up and order the correct frame in for you, but in my opinion it is still best (and somewhat more special) to have one built just for you, and you can have it in any colour you like and not just the makers corporate colour scheme.

Wocce Racer said:
Wrong. A a stock frame with just the stem changed will not give you the correct angles on the frame or handle correctly unless you are very lucky. If you have longer leges legs; short or long upper body; if you are heavy or very light, a custom built frame built to your person measurements makes all the difference. A frame builder who knows his craft will put together a frameset that will last you for the rest of your life.

The trouble these days is most people, other than the discerning rider, will impulse buy. If you are really serious you have to make sure that the frame is the correct one for you. A good dealer will measure you up and order the correct frame in for you, but in my opinion it is still best (and somewhat more special) to have one built just for you, and you can have it in any colour you like and not just the makers corporate colour scheme.

You are over stating the case for custom frames. The vast majority of the population will find an off the peg bike to fit them perfectly well.

Wocce Racer

mickle said:
You are over stating the case for custom frames. The vast majority of the population will find an off the peg bike to fit them perfectly well.

Only because it is probably all that they have ever known.

ASC1951

Guru
Wocce Racer said:
If you are really serious you have to make sure that the frame is the correct one for you. A good dealer will measure you up and order the correct frame in for you, but in my opinion it is still best (and somewhat more special) to have one built just for you, and you can have it in any colour you like and not just the makers corporate colour scheme.
I'm not disputing that it is 'special' to have a custom frame. Don't confuse that with function. My point is that a good dealer will be able to provide 99% of riders with exactly what they need by proper fitting and a careful choice of components.

You are far better spending the money on better standard components than deluding yourself that a custom frame is anything other than cosmetic. And yes, I do have a custom frame from XACD, but that's only because no-one makes a ti frame with a combined track and derailleur dropout. My other bikes are all standard frames which fit me.

OP
OP
C

crossy

A friend has just been fitted and is having a frame made by Mercian. So thats what put that in my mind. Also been looking at Dutch bike by Bratus? not sure thats spelt right. Also some from Fahrrad Manufaktur. I'm going to have a bit of money in my pocket soon and its already burning a hole in it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The SA 8-speed is a duffer. It has one small USP which might make it suitable for small-wheeled bikes, viz. all the gears are scaled up from direct drive (1st gear) so you don't need a dinnerplate chainring. Apart from that, it's inefficient and unpleasant. The venerable SRAM Spectro S7 is a fine design and has stood the test of time very well. Other than that, everyone seems to like the Shimano Alfine. The Shimano Nexus-8 is also nice to use, but not hugely reliable. I have nothing against SA, incidentally - I have three AWs, four AMs and an S3X.

Top Bottom