Sturmey Archer > SS conversion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi ;)

My flat mate has his (soon to be) Mother in-law's old bike round the back of our flat. Says the hub is knackered beyond repair... He was wondering if it might be possible to convert it easily to a singlespeed - if he sources a replacement 26" wheel and single sprocket etc. I said it wasn't that simple - am I right or can this be done, with minimal cost?

Cheers,
SD

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
SD, if you look on YACF and search for Rogerzilla, he's done a recentish SA thread where he's stripped and rebuilt a hub, piccies all the way. From what he's done it would seem that what we may consider borked beyond repair is actually in good nick.

I'd say it would be worth downloading the detail spec of the hub he has. Then strip it down and see what bits need replacing and source them on the web. If he really doesn't want the hub then send it to me, I'd love to have a go at rebuilding one:biggrin:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Hubgearfreak
Yeah I thought they were pretty indestructable. Seems it is just freewheeling - regardless of which direction you pedal!

Thanks for the additional info MacB

Ivan Ardon

From Sheldon:

In extreme cases, a hub that has sat unused for a long period of time may get its freewheel pawls stuck, so that it freewheels forward, particularly in low gear. This can often be corrected by lubricating with a fairly light oil and letting it work in.

Top Bottom